Need Help with Long and Narrow Remodel!
I am a long-time lurker, and I am excited (and a bit nervous) to finally ask for some help on our kitchen remodel. After a couple of starts and stops (over several years) it looks like we are at last moving forward.
We have lived here for 15 years and have no plans of leaving any time soon. My husband and I have 3 children ages 11-17. While we do not make gourmet meals in the kitchen it certainly gets a lot of use. We do attempt to sit down to regular meals together as often as we can! We do not do any real formal entertaining - when we have family or neighbors over it is casual. The goal of our remodel it to gain more storage space, make better use of the space we have and UPDATE to a light and bright transitional type kitchen!
I have included two photos from reverse angles to give you an idea about our current space. It is a rather long and narrow space 9ft 8" wide X 32ft long with 8ft ceilings (22.5 ft from slider to the far wall in dining room). We began the process by removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room to open things up to see how it would look. (The dining room was so tight it really was not functional so we thought, why not?)
We have explored various ideas such as shifting everything to the far end where the dining room was but it always felt like the kitchen was too far removed from the family room. So now we have come full circle to a layout that is very much like the original kitchen. (Maybe this is how this particular kitchen is meant to be??) We do not want to change things just for the sake of changing them, but we would like to improve it.
As the current plan is some of the changes would include:
- shifting the peninsula down away from slider about 8 inches
- a wider kitchen window replacing the garden window with a 54"x39" regular window
- extending the kitchen into the old dining room up to the old dining room window and then include another informal eating area as a banquette (see inspiration photo. )This will also provide additional storage.
I guess we would really love some fresh sets of eyes to look at this for us and give us your thoughts.
- Are 18" cabinets on each side of window going to be big enough?
- Is shifting everything down 8 inches worth it? Do I loose everyday use storage?
- I have always had my garbage under the sink but I have read and heard so much about it in its own space and it would need 18". I am not sure where that would go? I do not think it would be good in the peninsula?
- Everyone seems to really like the drawer concept and I hope to include drawers in the peninsula but not sure how I would configure them? Sizes?
- I think this current drawing shows the microwave in the peninsula? I do not think we would want it there. It would probably end up below a wall cabinet next to the hall door?
- The kitchen planner suggested we eliminate the peninsula, but we do everything at this peninsula. Though we will gain some counter space through other parts of the design I do not think it is enough to loose that counter space and the readily available storage under it! Thoughts?
- -OR can you think of a better way to deal with this long narrow space??!!
We are very overwhelmed and would really appreciate your feedback! I know I have a zillion other things to ask but I guess this is a start. Thank you!