SadieBrooklyn's Henrybuilt Galley Reveal

sadiebrooklynAugust 5, 2012

We moved in after the renovation a year ago - so I'm afraid I am very late in posting my final pics. I got so much help from the Gardenweb forums in making all my decisions!

you can find all my pictures by clicking on the flicker link below.

My Kitchen

Cabs: Henrybuilt, Walnut. Quartersawn on the exterior and Plainsawn on the interiors (to save money), lower cabinets in Precision White HPL

Counter and BS: Calacatta slab from ABC Stone in Greenpoint

Floor: Wideplank maple with satin tung oil finish from Carlisle Wide Plank Flooring

Sink: 45" Kohler Stages

Faucet, soap dispenser and spray: Dornbracht, Tara Ultra, Platinum

Range:36" Capital Culinarian (Eurostoves)

Hood: Eurostoves Modernaire 42" pro hood, 12200 cfm

Refrigerator: Miele fully integrated 30" left hinge

Freezer: Miele fully integrated 18" left hinge

Dishwasher: Miele Optima, fully integrated

Wall paint: Cloud White

Microwave: Sharp compact .8 cu ft. R-216LS

Toaster Oven: Breville Compact smart oven

Architect (for general kitchen design and in particular design of pass-thru and marble on dining side of kitchen wall): Jim Johnson and Peter Brotherton of Peter Brotherton Design

Contractor: THE AMAZING DON BUTLER AND SONS!!!!!!

Carpenter: David Greenberg (custom finish of henrybuilt provided walnut around eat-in counter)

-----------

a couple of things: Henrybuilt made a number of mistakes which required a number of the cabinet chassis and fronts to have to be redone and shipped from seattle. And they screwed up the glass sliders TWICE. They also made some errors in the drawings which luckily my contractor was able to work around. Do I love the kitchen? YES. The quality and the basic design is superb. Would I work with them again? NO. Next time I would probably work with the local carpenter that my contractor uses

I am very happy with all the appliance choices that I made - thanks appliance forum and thanks to TREVOR at EUROSTOVES!!!!!

btw - I did the fridge and freezer both left hinge because in order to make more space in my already small nyc galley I moved them both just outside the kitchen into the entryway. With both of them opening on the left I have very easy access and my work triangle is basically intact. My kitchen is so small that I can reach almost every cabinet and appliance without having to take more than one step!

sadie in brooklyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sas95

Your cabinets are beautiful! Lovely job.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 5:42PM
jerzeegirl

I just LOVE your new kitchen. Your cabinets are simply beautiful and the pass through was a really good idea. I was actually planning to do something similar but with the walnut on the bottom and the white cabinets on the top and seeing your kitchen inspires me!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 5:52PM
michoumonster

lovely and functional! the marble is exquisite. also love your kohler sink!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 6:30PM
cat_mom

LOVE IT! The look, and all the clever extras and hidden spots! Wonderful!!!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 6:55PM
ginny20

Really lovely! Wonderful walnut, love how those beautiful doors hide everything in the entryway. Great sink. You made the most of your space. Great job! Bravo!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 8:41PM
Poohpup

Congratulations! You've packed a lot of punch into a small space. Great job!

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 8:52PM
onedogedie

Thanks for sharing. It's never too late! What a great transformation. It's always fascinating to see urban kitchens and yours doesn't disappoint from the hidden murals to the industrial innards of your walls.

How has the innards of the cabinet held up with your Breville oven? I have the larger Breville, and in designing a "built-in" home for it I keep coming up again the recommended 4" of clearance on each side. I think I can bypass that minimum if my cabinet walls have high heat paint on them. Funny, the other Breville owner I've wanted to question is Sayde. Her upper cabinets come close to the top of the oven, but now I remember I found she said she has a cutting board on top to absorb the heat. The cutting board is allowed by Breville.

Thanks for the introduction to 2 new products - the mat and the Everpure.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 11:04AM
sadiebrooklyn

I have to say that the Henrybuilt architect, Julianna Morais, designed those cubbies knowing the dimensions ahead of time of both the breville and the sharp (which she recommended). So far we haven't seen any damage to the walnut but it does get awful hot and as a result we have been cautious about using either appliance for extended periods. I did get some handy cork trivets at ikea which I keep on top of each appliance and to the left of the Breville (the right side is insulated).

another great product that I have been using to protect the marble are silicone placemats by modern-twist.com. They have different styles and I got the one that was the most transparent. I have about four of them and when I'm handling anything acidic I usually lay them down for extra protection.

I have to say the biggest problem I have with the marble is in chipping the edges of the sink surround when I'm rushing to get pots in or out of the sink!

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 12:27PM
jakabedy

Gorgeous.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:31PM
gsciencechick

Just gorgeous! I love the wall with the fridge and the closet storage. Looks so aesthetic closed yet so functional when open. The wood is amazing.

Congrats!

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:40PM
bellsmom

I loved the details in your full reveal. Hope everyone sees all the pics. Love what you did in the entry, and the wonderful use of every inch without making it seem crowded. Great job.

Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:58PM
angie_diy

What a great-looking, tightly integrated, efficient, and beauteous kitchen! Great job!

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 3:23PM
colorfast

What a great kitchen. Stylish and integrated. I have had a galley kitchen and it was very efficient for a single cook. You did some very smart things with your storage and layout.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 4:19PM
sadiebrooklyn

I did make the most of what space I had. Though what I wouldn't do for another two drawer for tools so that I could keep the counters more clear!

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 12:22PM
sadiebrooklyn

I had a pleasantly surprising unintended consequence to my posting early in the week. Chris from Henrybuilt contacted me after reading my posting on the forum to let me know that because of the problems I had experienced during the installation of my kitchen they had made some significant changes in staffing and in the way they do things on the east coast. Apparently they have tripled their field operations team here and have begun to keep stock here too so that some pieces can be fabricated locally and more quickly replaced if necessary. They have also changed the way they receive and delivery inventory which will hopefully prevent the damage to pieces I experienced during the delivery process.

On wednesday he stopped by with one of his field operations people to swap out some hinges for me (my contractor had installed the wrong type) and they will also be providing me with "Danish Oil" which I will use on the panels closest to the sink to prevent water damage to the walnut.

Anyway - kudos to Henrybuilt's customer service!

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 7:15AM
a2gemini

Way to go Sadie - we can make a difference!!!
Lovely kitchen - wow - great window to add light to your kitchen. Great functional layout!
I think you get the small but mighty award! Nicely done!

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 7:46AM
sochi

Beautiful kitchen SadieBrooklyn, I love it. Very clever use of space, it looks wonderful.

Good on Henrybuilt for responding and adjusting their practice to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
My finished kitchen
This is my second kitchen remodeled with the kind assistance...
jerzeegirl
Copper sink for kitchen remodel?
Does anyone know of a really good quality copper sink...
kathy6421
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
Detailed where-things-go plan in 100 sqft - advice?
So, our kitchen is finished enough that we can prepare...
lathyrus
Sponsored Products
Woodland Sunrise One Light LED Pendant In Aged Bronze
$190.00 | Bellacor
Watermark | Loft 24 Single Lever Monoblock Faucet
$436.28 | YBath
Home Decorators Runner: Chainstitch Natural 3' x 8'
Home Depot
Delmar Table Lamp by Uttermost
$316.80 | Lumens
George Washington Vanity Medicine Cabinet
Signature Hardware
Progress Lighting P4686-20 Heart 1Two-Light Three-Tier Antique Bronze Chandelier
Progress Lighting
Thalassa Sea Fan Pillow - LIGHT BLUE
$325.00 | Horchow
Cone Pendant by Tech Lighting
$196.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™