input on kitchen layout

ardcpAugust 1, 2013

i have been reading alot about kitchens as i have been planning my new kitchen. i have been to lowes and 2 kitchen places to refine the design but i am still not really sure about the layout. suggestions would be appreciated! i have kicked around the idea of extending my L into a penisula but am concerned it would be too closed off with the slider being adjacent to it. i need more storage and more counter space. i will be getting rid of the pantry but keeping all appliances in the same spots(same appliances as well)
thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ardcp

i couldn't post 2 pics so here is the original kitchen layout dimensions. i added the pantry later. also i want to replace the cabs and counters. id like to run the cabs to ceiling which is 8ft but i don't know if my ceilings are level enough to fit 42" tall cabs.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 4:43PM
gpraceman55

Why get rid of the pantry? What are you going to do instead?

I would imagine that the installers would mount the uppers a little off the ceiling and then use a piece of decorative or scribe molding to cover the gap. That would take care of any ceiling irregularity issue.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 5:34PM
ardcp

i dont like the wasted deep space of the pantry and to get more counterspace i just want to run the counter all the way down the wall with uppers. i think the space will be about the same as the pantry but easier to organize

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 6:00PM
tracie.erin

Counterspace on the bottom left will be a clutter collector. I would swap that counter with the fridge, make the counter 30" deep instead of 24," and add a prep sink. Then it will actually be a usable prep space.

On the other side of the kitchen, your pri*mary prep space is between the range and sink. So, move the DW to the other side of the sink so it's out of your prep space. I would also make the counters on that side 30" deep.

I keep recommending 30" counters because it makes a huge difference in a small kitchen - I am speaking from experience. Basically, you either order deeper cabinets ($$$$) OR less expensively, and this is what my father did in the house I grew up in, you build a 2x6 base against the wall, install the cabinets against it, and run counter over the whole thing.

If you want usable storage space, switch as many base cabinets to drawers as possible. That means everything except the sink and corner bases and a trash pullout if you will have one (although in a kitchen this small I would put the trash pullout under the sink).

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Responsiveness of cabinet manufacturers
I was convinced that Barker was the cabinet company...
seb225
New build Kitchen – layout for this space?
So, hi! Popping out of lurk mode because I’d really...
am_e
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
1880s house kitchen: need to work in the current space
Note this is cross-posted at suggestion of a reader Plans...
islandgarden
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
Atlantis Conic Simmering Pot With Lid - Demeyere
$369.00 | HORNE
Bella 23 Inch Premium 16 Gauge Stainless Steel Undermount Kitchen / Bar / Prep S
eModern Decor
Cafe Latte Kitchen Accent Rug (1'6 x 2'6)
Overstock.com
Golden Carved-Wood Placemat - GOLD
$95.00 | Horchow
Belham Living Carmona Faux Wood Chair - Set of 2 - RYC042
$249.99 | Hayneedle
Lineage Collection Downlight 12 3/4" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Sonoma Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet with Integral Soap Dispenser
Signature Hardware
Zuo Nob Hill Chair in Natural [Set of 2]
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for: