Fix wall? Don't fix wall? Before tile backsplash!

AlexPDLAugust 27, 2013

OK here goes...after living in this house for over 5 years we noticed that the wall in the kitchen shifts OUT. Vertically it is flat and the outward shift occurs over a 3 foot distance. In the attached pic it kinda starts at that left outlet and continues to the end of wall. You can barely make out the laser...but throught that 3 foot section it moves out about an inch.

I am tempted to leave it as is. I dont think it will effect the group lines for the tile. They are small tile (about 3/4 inch by 4 inches).

Is it a sin to just leave the wall as is? Part of me wants to fix it, tear out that section of drywall, add wood to the 2x4's and replace the drywall. The new drywall will have to sit on top of the new quartz counter. But the whole thing would get covered by the tile.

Thoughts? Tear our or leave as is. Like I said, we hadn't noticed it all these years. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gpraceman55

If it is noticeable, fix it. If not, leave it. Seeing as you hadn't noticed that issue till now, it is probably safe to leave it, as long as it will not pose a problem with laying the tile. Tile can accentuate imperfections in the wall, depending on its size.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 5:02PM
sparkier73

Only you can answer that question. Is it going to bug you for years if you don't fix it? Some people just like to know that things are perfect, regardless of whether the flaws are visible or not. My husband would have to fix the wall, I would be quite content to leave as is.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 5:39PM
tbo123

Are you sure it's drywall?

Sounds to me like it's plaster.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:36PM
joaniepoanie

I would think if your counters were templated and installed to makeup for this difference you should be ok. I would ask the personnel at a trusted tile shop before ripping it out.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 6:53PM
AlexPDL

Thank all! This is all very helpful. Yes, its drywall 3/4 inch...I took some out when the old granite came out.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
Scullery...
What are your thoughts about a scullery? A place to...
lavender_lass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™