Shallow Depth Island Cabinet with Sink and Microwave?

pricklypearcactusAugust 17, 2010

Is it possible to fit a sink and a microwave in a 20" deep cabinet under a peninsula/island? In order to have appropriate aisle widths it looks like I can only do 35" deep island/peninsula. In order to fit 15" of knee room for seating on the opposite side I would end up with only 20" deep cabinets. The kitchen is somewhere in the small-medium size range.

Looking on Ticor's site, I see some fairly small sinks, but I'm not clear on what type of front-to-back depth is needed. Is it possible to fit a small prep sink in a cabinet that's only 20" deep?

I am also hoping to replace my over the range microwave with a hood and would then need to move my microwave somewhere else. We rarely use the microwave and wouldn't mind having a small one under a potential island/peninsula prep/seating area. I would love to find something that can fit in less than 20" deep base cabinets.

I am very very early in the planning stages of doing a kitchen remodel. At this point I'm just learning all that I can about what is available out there in order to find something that will work for my space when I can afford it. So, I do not have a layout planned yet and am just gathering information in order to begin work on a well-informed layout.

Thank you for your help, advice, and expertise!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pricklypearcactus

Does anyone have a sink in a less than standard (less than 24") depth base cabinet?

Does anyone have a microwave in a less than standard depth base cabinet? Are there microwaves meant to be built into upper cabinets (besides over the range microwaves)?

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Looking for a review of TCE Quartz
Looking to put in a Quartz countertop and was quoted...
maremurry
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Mercado Baskets
Serena & Lily
Westek 18.3 in. Flourescent White 15-Watt Direct Wire with Outlet FA318HW
$21.26 | Home Depot
Chelsea Home Rebekah Sideboard
Beyond Stores
Floor Lamp: Gotham 72 in. H Walnut Floor Lamp 3370-15
Home Depot
Avanity KNOX-WC18-ZW 18W x 7D x 39H' Wall Cabinet Solid Wood - Zebra Wood
$412.50 | Blue Bath
Afina Signature Contemporary Lighted Triple Door 44W x 34H in. Recessed Medicine
Hayneedle
Touring Library Cabinet
| Italy Design
Genevieve Canister
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™