Looking for Feedback on Layout for Vacation Home Kitchen
This is my first GW post. I have spent lots of time over the past several months reading and learning in preparation for a new kitchen at our summer/vacation home. I greatly appreciate the time and effort people put into this and other forums and hope to be able to do the same!
Here is a little about us and our home:
- we are a family of 4 with frequent summer visitors
- we grill a lot out back, but I love to cook inside as well
- home is used mostly in the summer but also on weekends off season
- our home is a mostly one-story, rambling Cape Cod-style and the new kitchen will be at the center of house
- the house has a nice water view to the back of the house
I have sketched a preliminary floor plan (attached below) for our new kitchen and dining area and would appreciate feedback on its functionality. Here is a little about our proposed new space:
- our architect has drawn plans that allow for a combined kitchen and dining room of about 20ft x19ft plus a 12ft x 2ft additional bump-out for the dining area; the kitchen area will be about 20ft x 12ft
- there is a necessary pass-through between the kitchen and dining areas on the floor plan below (the location of the pass-through cannot change)
- with the exception of bringing in groceries (which will occur from the entry/mudroom shown to the left of the kitchen on the plan below), everything we do in the kitchen is oriented toward the back yard and the water. This includes grilling, eating outdoors, and heading to the beach/water to play.
- I tried to strategically locate everything that needs to be easily accessible to the back yard: pantry, fridge, closet for towels and outdoor things, and alcohol/drink station
- I decided to locate the main sink on the island b/c of the water view and to minimize distance to the sink from the back yard and dining area.
- My goal was to create a defined prep zones that non-cooks wouldn't need to come near
- Although not indicated on the diagram due to lack of space, this kitchen must have a defined "sandwich-making zone" which would be on the island across from the fridge/pantry. I spend half my life down here making sandwiches!
My initial layout sketch below is not very detailed with respect to storage, and I am not sure I will have much in the way of upper cabinets - possibly none on the back wall where the range is located. I tried to think through the locations of main appliances and zones, and any feedback and suggestions on this first pass are appreciated.
I could not for the life of me figure out how to make this layout plan larger. I hope it is legible.