Nice-looking wall-mount kitchen kitchen extractor fan -not hood!

staceyneilAugust 15, 2013

I know, I know. She should get a proper hood. But my mom hates them, and she wants an alternative. She found a picture of a wall-mounted kitchen extractor fan -sort of like the ones they had in 1920's kitchens- and says that is what she wants above her cooktop (which is on an exterior wall, so that works functionally.)

The problem is, the image she sent me is no longer on line, and she never found an actual product. Google is only showing me really cheesy-looking cheap white plastic ones. This will be on a very visible wall, so I want to find a nice-looking one. Any ideas?

I'll find a pic so you can see what I mean. And I'll look into downdraft fans for her, too, but this is what she said she wanted...

Thanks for your thoughts!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This is the sort of thing I mean:

    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 3:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oh, dear, I forgot how to post pics, it's been so long. Another try:

    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 3:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There is this, from Nutone that is indicated for removing cooking odors and steam from kitchens but that it is Not to be mounted over cooktops.

There was a company that made decorative antique looking ones that had the same disclaimer that they were for room ventilation but not over cooktops, but they went out of business.

The old versions of these used to come with a round grease filter. The other thing is that I don't know where you live but the older versions of this let a lot of cold air in, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nutone

    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 4:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think you can get a metal cover for those I am not sure, but why doesn't she consider something like this?
They are essentially concealed on the underside of the cabinet. I used one here:

    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My parents have a pop-up or hideaway hood that turns on when they pull the cabinet forward. I know that Miele also makes them.

Here is a link that might be useful: pull-out range hood

    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Last year I looked for a good one like they had in the old days and came up empty.

    Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:55PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™