Surprised this got so little response on Kitchen Forum

kitchendetectiveDecember 10, 2012

Bad form or not, I'm linking to my own post on Kitchens in re: unfitted kitchens. Just for the imagery, if nothing else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elizabethan home reno

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty_cakes

I absolutely love it! I plan to use several French pieces i've purchased thru auctions over the last 3 years when I feel *ready* to build again. I've only been in tis home 4 years, so maybe in the next couple of years when I decide to downsize. At the moment, i'm using the furniture in other rooms~3 dressers, 2 matching armoires, one a two-door the other a three. The shelving/drawers will need to be made sturdy, but that's not a big issue. Anyway, not only do I love the kitchen, but the whole house is eye-candy worthy! I guess some people fail to have an appreciation for something off the 'beaten track' since PB seems to be the 'look' at the moment and very little imagination is needed~such a shame.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 1:30PM
teacats

For a real treat -- zip over to Pinterest and type in "unfitted kitchens" and then try typing in "bohemian kitchens" -- truly gorgeous and unique!

Thanks for sharing -- I've always adored (and frankly envied) such wonderful kitchens!

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 1:33PM
lavender_lass

That's a wonderful kitchen! Thanks for sharing...I didn't even see this on the kitchen forum :)

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 3:22PM
laura mcleod

That is an amazing kitchen and home! Elegant and cozy all at the same time. I love it.

I contemplated doing an unfitted kitchen but didn't think I had the skill or patience to get it done right... Maybe in my next life/kitchen?

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 5:17PM
palimpsest

It looks very natural and appropriate in that house

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 5:32PM
chispa

Those floors looked like they would be so cold in the winter. To me the whole house feels like it would be cold and drafty.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:12PM
palimpsest

Chispa

Lincolnshire is on the North Sea. It is never particularly warm or particularly bitter cold, but Of Course the floors are cold--they are probably cold in summer..., it's not Southern California, and I don't think the Elizabethans had flip flops.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 23:34

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:21PM
kimiko232

Whoops, responded to the kitchen forum. Lovely kitchen. I didn't see the original post either.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:06AM
pugga

Love that house. Thanks for bringing it up, I would have missed it.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 1:09PM
SunnyCottage

That made my heart go pitter-patter. Thank you so much for sharing!

Cold and drafty, you say? Possibly. But maybe not. Our friends' 450+ year old thatched roof cottage in the Wiltshire countryside has a lot of these same features, but is perfectly comfortable even when snow is falling outside.

I would dearly love to have this kitchen. Oh, and there's my Asiatic Pheasants again. ;-)

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 1:50PM
SunnyCottage

Just coming back to say that the entire blog is absolutely lovely. Thanks again for posting this ... I've been happily lost in the gorgeous images ...

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 5:00PM
threeapples

Absolutely gorgeous!

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 8:13AM
lynxe

Where's the matching stainless? And the granite countertops? ;)

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 9:04AM
lascatx

I really like it. Don't think I could put it together, if only because I am so married to family furniture and things I have. I love the idea in an older home, but it doesn't fit a 20-something year old neighborhood, even though one of the things I loved about my house was that it had an older feel to it.

I have lived in a couple of older homes -- not that old but 1920s, and they had thicker walls and were better insulated than newer homes -- except for the floors. The older houses here were pier and beam and newer construction in this area is slab foundation. Both can get cold, but the pier and beam seemed colder. They could be insulated or even heated now and probably be more energy efficient than my newer home (but we're working on it).

This post was edited by lascatx on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 11:19

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 11:15AM
Boopadaboo

Love it - I like the paint color too. I wonder if it could work in a newer house with wood trim.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 2:14PM
crl_

I think it is lovely to look at. But I also think it would be difficult to be very functional, especially in a small kitchen. Maximizing drawer space, continuous counters for working, etc are just a lot more functional for me. And for me, in a kitchen, function trumps form.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Laundry room paint & would you remove the door?
Decided to askā€¦ What color would you pull from the...
misformink
aluminum prints in bathroom
has anyone had experience with keeping aluminum prints...
soccerfan15
Snapped Fiddle Leaf Fig
Hi All, This afternoon I took my Fiddle Leaf Fig to...
Belle Roberts
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
WWYD re: tile in bathroom/mudroom
So my DH thought that before we put all our baseboards...
akl_vdb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™