Cabinet size for Sharp 24' drawer microwave???

carolinesmomAugust 1, 2009

Hi everyone, looking at purchasing the Sharp 24" drawer micro; says it can be installed in a 24" microwave cabinet. My cabinet company's smallest "built in" microwave cab is 27". They do make a regular microwave shelf cab in a 24". I want this cab/micro to take the least amt of space possible. Would love to fit it into a 24" cabinet. Anyone have experience with this? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
needsometips08

I am putting mine in a 30" cab so that if I want to swap it out one day for a steam oven or an Advantium, I have that option.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 4:14PM
buehl

My 30" Sharp MW Drawer is in a 31" cabinet. However, I checked the Sharp site and under "Downloads" found that you can indeed install a 24" MW Drawer in a 24" cabinet...there are two documents that might help you, depending on your cabinet type: framed or frameless (IIRC, you're going w/framed, correct?)

Installation Tips: 24" in 24" Face Frame Cabinet:
http://www.sharpusa.com/files/mdo_dow_TIP_24-n-24_face_frame.pdf

Installation Tips: 24" in 24" Frameless Cabinet:
http://www.sharpusa.com/files/mdo_dow_TIP_24-n-24_frameless.pdf

Sharp Downloads for Microwave Drawers:
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/TypeDownloads/0,1087,216,00.html

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 4:52PM
lascatx

Mine is in a 24" frameless cabinet and fits pretty much edge to edge. It is basically a modified 3 drawer stack with the micro taking the place of the top two drawers. There is a face frame on the top portion where the top two drawers would be where the micro fits in and a shelf at the bottom -- like an wall oven cabinet, but shorter.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 4:59PM
firstmmo

I am so glad you asked this. I am going to do the 24" too. Had originally thought we were doing the larger one, but after looking at my island, I don't want such a large micro! Thanks for the specs Buehl!

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 5:34PM
carolinesmom

Thanks everyone! Buehl you are a virtual treasure trove! Printing as we speak! :)

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 5:35PM
annemonty

i want to install a 24"sharp microwave drawer in a 30" cabinet. Is this possible? what about the extra 3 inches on each side?

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 10:41PM
Julierang

I am also looking at installing a Sharp 24" drawer micro. The pictures on line make the color of the stainless look different that any other brand. I have Kenmore appliances and wonder if the color will match. Does anyone else have a mix of brands and does the stainless match?

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 6:30PM
jellytoast

"i want to install a 24"sharp microwave drawer in a 30" cabinet. Is this possible? what about the extra 3 inches on each side?"

Filler pieces. See the above links provided by buehl.

Can I add an additional question about this 24 inch micro drawer? The instructions say that the plug has to be in the top left corner of the cabinet. Is that they only place that the plug will work? My plug is located in the center of my 27-inch cabinet, but towards the top of the opening. It is recessed into the cabinet so there is not a plug box sticking out into the opening. Moving the plug at this point will be a huge ordeal.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 7:09PM
boredy

Hello!

Please help!

The cabinet people told me that I need support for both sides installing the microwave. I have attached a picture. I wanted the microwave to be next to the stove but he said the "microwave" needs support, so he added a spice rack next to it.

My question is.. can I eliminate the spice rack?

Bookmark   September 12, 2014 at 2:46PM
marcojohnson

Not sure about that ... we have cabs on both sides, but there's no "support" - they aren't attached other than via the plywood underlayment for the counter (and each cab is screwed into the support 2x4 cleat that's on the wall.

The microwave isn't particularly heavy. But the cabinet that it's in is specifically designed for a 24" MW drawer.

Bookmark   September 13, 2014 at 4:34PM
Mags438

Our microwave drawer is in a 24" cab at the end of the island; there are no cabinets to the right or left of the microwave.

Bookmark   September 13, 2014 at 6:15PM
hsw_sc

This is my late MIL's last kitchen. That's a 36" induction cooktop, a 24" Sharp Drawer MW, and double ovens. No "support" between each.

Bookmark   September 13, 2014 at 7:24PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It has side walls to the cabinet that indeed DO support the countertop.

Bookmark   September 13, 2014 at 7:42PM
jakuvall

MW drawer can go into a 24" cabinet with no cabinet next to it. Opening is 22-1/8" so stiles gets cut down if a framed cabinet which is ok with a well made carcass, 25-1/8 is better if available.
Electric must go where specified or there won't be room for the plug.

Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 6:18AM
bobhood

Another factoid for your decision matrix: The 24" and 30" Sharp microwave drawers have the SAME interior capacity. The exterior trim is larger on the 30" drawer.

Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 8:01AM
Bellsmom

You already have most of the info I can share:

Both 24" and 30" drawer MWs are the same interior size. Only the door is wider in the 30." No advantage to it other than to enable you to use an existing 30" cab.

Mine is on the end of the island. No extra framing was needed.

It does take the full width of a frameless 24" cab. If putting it in a framed 24" cab, alteration would be necessary.

I also used a modified 24" drawer cabinet with a shelf between the MW area and a bottom drawer built to the depth needed below the MW. All that drawer really requires is that the drawer front be the correct height, since the sides can easily be lower.

Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 10:55AM
sjhockeyfan325

It does take the full width of a frameless 24" cab.

Almost but not quite. This picture shows the drawer open, in my 24" frameless cabinet. You can see that the top trim piece does in fact take the entire width, but the box itself does not - there is some cabinet showing to the left and right.

Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
What does it take to become a kitchen designer?
I know there were posts on the subject several years...
sjerin
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™