Online kitchen designer

bigds01August 3, 2013

Does anyone know if there kitchen designers that you can work with remotely on-line? I think we will go with one of the midwest manufacturers for cabinets but they don't do design services.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

I used to do this locally, but couldn't make a living doing it. There are VERY few unaffiliated KD's around for that very same reason. 99% will be affiliated with a showroom or box store or remodel contractor.

There are darn few designers of any variety that will do a long distance design. There are just too many risks. It all depends on the local contractor and the communication between the contractor, designer, and customer. It's hard enough when all 3 are in the same location!

So, I'd have to say that you are asking for a one in a million combination here. You'd be better off seeking the local services of a design professional. And personally, if a cabinet line isn't in a local design shop, I'd want to know why. Most reputable companies will be carried by someone in a metro area within 250 miles of you.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:31PM
jakuvall

I do a lot of long distance but am pretty particular about what "design only" jobs I'll take, don't think I can be of any help. But...
Susan Sera also does remote work using the same software I do. Not sure if she is doing design only or not or what her requirements are nowadays.- link below.

There are others out there using Basecamp and other software- at my old job we used the same product. The question is the extent of responsibility a designer wants to take (as Green pointed out). I need to at least see the job once, prefer I know either the client or the installer, still subject to approval.
FWIW- to this point every client I've ever contracted to do a design only job for has decided it was wiser to purchase the cabinets (also cheaper that way)

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan Sera

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 6:25PM
bigds01

So now I feel a little silly. Do I hire a kitchen designer and they handle ordering the cabinets as well? I have always done my own sourcing since I have gotten really good prices.

Also, I should mention that I am in the NYC area if that matters for a designer.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 8:35PM
jakuvall

Apologies if I made you feel silly, don't understand why?you shouldn't. Perhaps I misunderstood your original question. You asked for a designer- why, what are you looking for?
You can work with the folks on this forum to work out the design concept, and handle sourcing and ordering yourself. You deal with the details.

While margins are higher in the immediate NYC area dealers include design services along with product you have to save an awful lot to cover the cost of an independent KD. You will at least find more KD's there than most places.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 10:22PM
bigds01

The issue with the kitchen is it is small in an antique home. Reconfiguring isn't an option, but I would like ideas on what to do with the space.

Should I just post photos on this site?

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 9:21AM
jakuvall

They'll offer ideas- that's what they do around here- help each other go it alone.
Read the sticky new to kitchens and check in the FAQ about posting a layout- they'll want a floor plan along with the pics.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:10AM
debrak2008

Actually read the "new to kitchens" thread that is posted by buehl. The links in the sticky are dead. Buehls is up to date.

Here is a link that might be useful: new to kitchens

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:20AM
GreenDesigns

One thing that you may not know is that the Kitchen Designer's fee is built into any kitchen design shops costs when you buy cabinets from them. That's how they are able to offer "free" design services. You may need to pay a retainer to get started, or a design fee if you choose to not buy cabinets from them, but there usually is no "extra" fee. If you show up with a design already figured out, you'll still pay the same price, so you might as well get the free input from the designer.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Old, Deep Cast Iron Sink or New Sink? I can't decide
Hello, would love to hear from those of you who have...
Cindy McMahon
Conestoga whites
For those of you that have conestoga cabinets in one...
tigger9759
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Do I need drywall behind cabinets?
I am building a counter-height knee wall between my...
DIY2Much2Do
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Sponsored Products
Feiss Hounslow 9" High Brushed Steel Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
New England Mini Pendant by Quoizel
$129.99 | Lumens
Sample-lake Blue Glass Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Lisbon Swivel Barstool
Overstock.com
Blue Bling Slotted Spoon
$9.99 | zulily