Backsplash: Finding a White that matches counter and cabs.

MIssyVAugust 15, 2013

Hello all! I had taken a hiatus from Garden Web, as we came to a halt in our kitchen remodel. I really had put finding a backsplash for our kitchen on the back burner, until today, when I was at ReStore and stumbled across 3x6 subway tile for 7 cents a piece. Yes, I said it, 7 CENTS A PIECE!

So, for $14 I picked up those bad boys and hauled them home! Here is the dilemma .... they match perfectly to my cabs, but look maybe a tad too creamy next to the granite? My cabs are linen white and read more creamy than I had hoped for, but work with the bianco antico counter tops that shows more white than cream.

My question is, how do you pick a "white" backsplash? Do you shoot to match the cabs or shoot to match the granite? Or aim for the middle?!

I just got home with my deal and have a few lined up on the counter, will continue to look at them for the next few days in different light and maybe make a board so I can see them actually stacked from counter to cabinet with grout color.

Thanks all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I generally go for "looks good with" rather than "matches". Trying to match can be tricky because the light source isn't always the same and what is a perfect match in daylight could be an unpleasant "just missed matching" under artificial light.

I think various whites that look good together also add a bit of depth. I have a really high level of color discernment whenever I take that test that gets posted on here occasionally, so I don't think it's that I can't tell the difference between shades, --apparently I see it but it doesn't bother me.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 2:57PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Matching looks flat, like you took a gallon of paint and painted everything in the room. To add depth and interest, you vary the shades and sheens.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 2:59PM
MIssyV

Well, they are matte 3x6 subways and the granite is polished, so I am mixing sheens.

I think I am just going to take some time with them sitting out and go from there. While its a fantastic deal, it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit perfectly in my kitchen :)

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
Conestoga essence line or merrilat classic with upgrades
Has anyone worked with the Conestoga essence line cabinets?...
jgHG
Dishwasher in white, black or panel??
My 17 year old dishwasher needs to be replaced. It...
shellking
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™