drop-in sink in butcherblock counters?

boops2012August 17, 2013

Staceyneil posted about BB counters and finding a sink w/o issues. So I thought I would start a new thread.
Any one have a suggestion for a drop- in? Under mount with or w/o apron front seems to have a moisture issue. Someone has the Kohler Vault top mount but it seems to have no space for the faucet to deck mount. Water around the faucet appears to be problematic with that configuration.
The poster with the multiple molding issues has got me re-thinking my counter choice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

We have the IKEA Boholmen

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg041142382693.html has some pics.

We attached the sink to the countertop with it upside down, using plenty of good clear silicon caulk, tightened it down, then filled in the remaining groove with more caulk.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 3:48PM
northcarolina

"Someone has the Kohler Vault top mount but it seems to have no space for the faucet to deck mount."

The Kohler Vault has faucet hole(s) in its wide back rim, so the faucet does indeed sit on the sink deck when the sink is top mounted -- assuming we are talking about the same part of the sink. I have a top mounted Vault in a wood counter and the faucet base sits on the metal sink rim, not directly on wood.

Our round Ikea top mounted sink does not have a wide rim, so in that case the faucet is mounted on the wood counter. We have had no trouble with it either, but we are careful to wipe up splashes. (There is only infrequent splashing outside the Vault because it's so big; the low divider as opposed to a full-height one also helps.)

We have our faucet handles oriented toward the front and we use motion-sensor soap pumps. Both of those things help keep the water in the sink, not on the counter.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:18PM
will2kz

wipe up as often as possible and you will be fine. Oil away or waterlox it. It is doable but higher maintenance.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:20PM
dee850

will2kz, your sink/counter set up is beautiful!

We have the Elkay Lustertone double drainboard sink in butcher block counters finished with PolyOsmo oil, and are loving it. It's been 8 months since installation, so I'm not speaking from years of experience, but it has been great so far. The faucet is mounted on the sink, not in the counter, and I'm glad we went that route. Realistically, we (mainly my 6-yr-old) just aren't as on top of wiping up every drop of water as I think we'd want to be if the faucet and soap dispenser were mounted in the wood.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:01AM
pursue

Just want to say that we have had an Elkay Lustertone sink with a drainboard and maple counters for 37 years!
We now have Waterlox on the counter. In the past we used Watco Danish Oil. I do keep a towel behind the sink and the back splash to catch water drips. That is the only place we had any problem. With some sanding and a bit of wood filler we were able to correct the problem.

This post was edited by pursue on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 15:48

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
Week 40: Sacrificed? Unobtainable dreams? Which direction?
A lot of questions this morning! Other than your entire...
CEFreeman_GW
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™