Dull spots on dark granite

twobdesignAugust 14, 2014

We are in the process of choosing a granite for our kitchen remodel and are drawn to darker green colored stones (Golden Jade, Galaxy Green) to complement our natural cherry cabs. The slabs look great when standing on end in the showroom. But on the few samples I've brought home, there are dull spots that look like water marks in the polished finish when the sample is laid on the counter and light hits it from the side. I realize that this is because the different crystals reflect light differently, but it just looks dirty. Anyone else have this issue and if so, does it bother you? Wondering if this is more prominent in dark granites? You really can't tell by looking at the stones when they are standing up in the yard.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

If a completely uniform sheen and smoothness is important to you, then look at a quartz, like Cambria. Granite will offer you neither trait. It's normal for it to have variations.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 4:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

twobdesign:

I spent half a day today refinishing a granite top, something they all need, at least in spots, every decade or so.

There was a spot or two that I had to remind myself that was in the stone; nothing I could do. When you buy natural stone, you get what you get. No whining about it later.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
hardware length vs. drawer width..
All, We've figured out which pulls we want for our...
yoda888
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
Zephyr Monsoon I or Air King LIN34 600 CFR Range Hood Insert??
I am ready to buy a range hood insert for my kitchen....
Kenneth House
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™