Backsplash ideas

mike_73August 17, 2012

I'm looking for an affordable backsplash idea. Any one have any ideas? I like glass tiles but I don't want to spend more than the cost of the wilsonart hd laminate counters I'm getting Current one is the same Formica as the counters and I hate the yellow. I was thinking of doing Formica again as I can get that in a nicer color for about $100. I would like a metal or stainless steel Maybe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Angie_DIY

So, what is your budget for the backsplash, and how many square feet is it?

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 3:08PM
mike_73

the area is an L shaped like area. one side is 11 foot long with a sink and range areas that have cabinets that are not as long/tall. the other section is about 4 ft x 19 in. tall. So by my rough and generous estimate is around 42 sq. ft.

I was hoping to keep it the price low not more than $200-300 in materials and be able to install it myself

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 5:21PM
beeps

So if I did my math correctly you are looking to hit in the 4.50-7.00/sq ft range. Around here you can shop some of the big tile/stone stores seconds or discontinued items and get some great deals and a price that would fit your price point for glass. HD has a few at the upper end of your budget. Also check out ebay - there are a limited number of glass and stainless tile options that fit your price point also. The field isn't wide open to you, but with some savvy shopping you could do it.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 8:48PM
mike_73

I found a tin ceiling tile company online that sells tiles I can put up with liquid nails. they are 2x2 foot with 6" repeat I can get some of the simpler finishes for about $12-14 each so buy the sites calculator I can get enough for about $250 shipped. I am getting a dark sort of neutral color counter top, my cabinets will be antique white and the sink and appliances are stainless steel that I got by savvy shopping. I think the stainless panels in pattern #3 or #19 would look good.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Tin Ceilings

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 11:52PM
eam44

Glass tile for less than $7/sf can be found on clearance sites like the one below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Clearance

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 11:52PM
williamsem

I love the look of those tin tiles as a backsplash, wish my kitchen could pull it off. There are a bunch of places that sell them so you can shop around. Even Amazon has them.

Be sure to post pics when it's done!

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 12:47AM
mike_73

thanks I do like the look too and its going in an older home so that will be in character for it. I seen plastic knock off tiles like those at Lowe's for $20 each. these are 12-16 if you stay to a more simple finish and are the real thing. I did not know Amazon sold them. thanks for that bit. I think this is what I may do I'm goin to shop around and see.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 6:02AM
Angie_DIY

Have you ruled out plain ol' ceramic tiles? You can get those for about $4/sq ft. Easier to keep clean, and more "expected" looking.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 11:18PM
mike_73

Yeah almost given up on tiles. the install is more labor and I been looking at Lowe's and HD which is all we have here no tile mart or place like that. if i could find a tile i like that was in price once you add in mastic and grout would do it. so for not seen tile i like. even the glass tile site that was posted had nice tiles but I only liked the ones $10-11 plus and I don't want to spend that much on this place.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 6:15AM
Annie Deighnaugh

The other thing you can do is buy expanded vinyl wallpaper that looks like tile. Some of it even has grout lines. Easy to install and durable. I put some up in our old house we were selling and people had to touch it to see it wasn't tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinyl wall covering

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 7:58AM
mike_73

Annie - I generally hate wallpaper over a whole room and could never deal with much more than a border but looking at the few that are on that link to Lowe's I think it's worth going in and looking at some before I pull the trigger on the tin backsplash. It may cost even less and be cheap to change out if i got tired of it or styles change.

The reason for me not wanting to splurge a lot is this house is a 2 unit, one is my residence, the one I am working on and the other is a rental. In the area I would not see most of the money back for high end finishes like granite and tile. also in 5 years maybe more or less I may buy a house someplace else and just keep this as investment property.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 3:45PM
ae2ga

Definitely check out Amazon for tile and other home products. There are a variety of glass tiles there in all price ranges.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Cabs above the fridge and wall oven
We don't have a KD yet, and I'm still just figuring...
Jennifer Weinman
Kitchen/House Reveal - DIY with Scherr's RTA. Better late then never
I have been meaning to post here for years but I really...
toddimt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™