OSMO Polyx Oil vs Top Oil for walnut butcher block?

sloane529August 28, 2012

Installing walnut butcher block with undermount prep sink on our island, though don't plan on cutting directly on surface, and wanting a matte finish, nothing shiny or plastic-y. Searching for the right finish, have considered Waterlox (too shiny, toxic for my taste, plus we're trying to get green certification for the project) and mineral oil/beeswax (but GC and counter fabricator want something a bit more water resistant with the sink) and am finding lots of positive reviews of OSMO Polyx Oil (LOVE breezygirl's walnut counter!!). GC recommended the OSMO Top Oil instead. Any thoughts? Reasons to use one over the other? TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill7175

I use Osmo Polyx Oil and Osmo Top Oil on my cherrywood placemats. They are both excellent for a non-cutting surface, Very hard and durable. For my cherrywood and black walnut cheese boards I use cold pressed hemp seed oil and my own mixture of hempseed oil and natural beeswax. I purchase my hemp seed oil from Hempola in Barrie, Ontario, Canada. Hemp seed oil is organic and totally food safe. I don't think either Osmo product was designed for a cutting surface. Hemp seed oil is much better to work with and healthier and more organic and food safe than any Osmo product.You can see some of my work at my website- www.liveedgedwoodcraft.ca

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezygirl

Did your GC say why he recommended the top oil over the polyx? My wood worker never mentioned the top oil, saying that he has used the polyx on counters for years with much success. Just curious why something else would be recommended. Now I need to go look at the top oil online....

And thanks for the compliment! I love it, too.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 1:41AM
More Discussions
Budget or DIY Counter Options
I've got a couple of ideas I'd like to bounce out there,...
denizenx
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Clearance for full overlay doors
I'm finally ready to order the doors and drawer fronts...
weedyacres
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™