Best source for inexpensive subway tile?

purrusAugust 6, 2014

Hello dear KFers,

I'm shopping for my subway tile backsplash and hoping to find a deal. Is this something I just need to hunt for locally, or are there any leads on a place where I can order them for cheap? Looking for glossy white subway.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyocean

Have you tried Lowes or Home Depot? If I were you, I'd do a google search for glossy white tile and just see what's available locally. You might even have local discount tile stores that sell it for less. Subway tile is so popular now, you can find it many different places. Both Lowes and Home Depot are selling it for under $6.00 a square ft. There may be more flaws in the discounted tile, but you can take damaged tile back, so it's no real loss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subway tile

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:39PM
PRO
Bridget Helm

Builddirect.com or build.com has some for around 2/sf. You can get a free sample from them. They are by a company called hammersmith. They look great to me and you can't beat the price

The white is a very bright white.

Ours have not yet been Installed. They will prob go up in about 2 months. I'll let you know how it turns out

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:41PM
lazy_gardens

I got ours from "Floor and Decor" (large chain, you may have one local) for If it's just wall tile - backsplash or bathroom wall - almost anything that's the right color will work.

If it's going in a shower, you want porcelain, but BigBox plain tiles would be just fine.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 3:18PM
debrak2008

home depot on line. Different stuff then in the store.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:45PM
spanky_md

I used 2x4" subways from HD. They were $2.78/sf. I have used their stock standard size ones too--can't remember the sf price but it was low and the quality was fine. They looked great finished.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:04PM
marcojohnson

Believe it or not ... overstock.com can have some good deals -- if you can score a 10% coupon and use their rewards program (another 8% back with their card) - plus free shipping and no tax - it may be something to consider. We used them for some of our bathroom tile and were pleased as punch.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:24PM
tinker1121

When I was shopping for tile I came across tile by Adex USA which is very reasonably priced. Their Neri series has a good selection of sizes in flat or beveled white subway tiles. IMHO it is nicer than the stock HD and Lowes tile which I found to be pitted and not that great of quality.

Tilesdirect.net has good pricing on all tile, carries Adex USA for about $6 sf and you can get samples but have to pay for them. I think you get three for $10 but worth it before ordering. I have posted the link to the Adex tile with all the sizes available. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adex USA Neri series

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 5:47AM
annaship1

Home Depot carries American Olean white subway tile for $0.22 each -- works out to $1.76 a square foot.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 1:40PM
annaship1

Correction, the American Olean is carried at Lowes.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
Crack in Quartz countertop
I purchased my Quartz countertop 7 months ago and I...
avsheth2002
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Review a friend's kitchen?
You all helped me tremendously in planning our kitchen...
camandann
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™