Glass mosaic - sanded or I sanded grout?

foodonastumpAugust 16, 2013

My backsplash will be a very small glass mosaic. The small display piece at the tile store had it grouted with a sanded grout so that's what I ordered. My contractor just stopped by and said it "could" scratch. So I asked at the store and they said because of the type of glass (it almost looks more like stone or tile than a true translucent glass) it's ok but he has to be a little careful with it.

The pieces are very close, as I remember probably less than 1/16th of an inch, in places close to zero. (It's somewhat randomly sized.) Looking at it close I did like the sanded grout, but I'm thinking it would be really hard to notice the difference once installed. It's not cheap stuff so I'm thinking I might want to avoid the risk. Unless someone convinces me otherwise.

This blurry sample is about 6x6. This time only, please don't tell me if you hate it. It works really well picking up colors in my granite and cabinets. And I'm SO tired of backsplash shopping. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

"I sanded grout"? 8 months and I still can't type on an iPhone. Next phone I'm going back to a big Droid!

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 2:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

FWIW, our tile guy used a mix of sanded and unsanded grout with our glass tile splash (wider grout lines than yours perhaps). Not sure of the exact proportions, but could look it up in my folders. They were very careful and didn't scratch any of the tiles.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Beam in Kitchen - Wine rack?
We are doing a kitchen remodel. We have 8 ft ceilings....
neubz
am I being too picky?
Ok, is my perfectionism is out of control..... I bought...
bicyclegirl1
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
Ikea pantry options - what will work best?
I have a wall space between two french doors adjacent...
crcollins1_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™