Sealing slate backsplash

ryuiucAugust 18, 2009

I just had my kitchen backsplash tiled with 1 inch mosaic slate. I also paid to have it sealed and bought some sealer/enhancer. The installation guy did not seal the tile before grouting and told me it takes about 10 days for the grout to properly cure then he will come back and apply 2 coats of the sealer right off the bat and if I decide I'd like more coats he would come back to do it again.

So I've read a little on the subject but can't find a consensus on how many coats should be sufficient. I've seen 2 coats and a lot of 3 coat minimums but they are often for bathrooms so I think for my kitchen it might be overkill since it won't likely even be wiped down but every week maybe. I have also read that slate is very pourous though so that may be more of the issue.

So my questions are: How many coats should I insist as a minimum, Should he have sealed at all before grouting and why, Can you apply 2 coats right away without waiting for the first coat to set (bottle says 30 min), and How long can I expect this sealer to hold up before another application given this is for a kitchen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
granite-girl

I'd think 1 coat of sealer should be suficient. From what I understand, the stone,slate... should be sealed before grouting to make it easier to clean the grout. If you want to go back with a sealer over the grout, that's good. Any other coats of enhancer /sealer is just going to affect the color some. It depends on how dark you want your slate to get. I think with each coat it will get a little darker & bring out the colors more.
I really don't think you should have to seal it again for a while, given that sealer really only will "wear" out at places of lots of friction or rubbing. Look at the bottle, but I'd think it'd last a good long time. Like 5 years or more.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
How big of a range do you need for 13+ feet of wall?
We are narrowing down our kitchen design bit by bit,...
veroni2413
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
Corner Drawers instead of Lazy Susan?
If you have them, do you like them? There are 2 corner...
beekeeperswife
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?
I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops....
Lily Spider
Sponsored Products
Ceramic Floor & Wall Tile: Daltile Building Materials Stratford Place Truffle 6
$2.56 | Home Depot
2" Solid Bronze Wall Tile with Passion Flower Design - Burnished Bronze
Signature Hardware
Oil-rubbed Bronze Kitchen Faucet
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting 24 in. White Undercabinet Fixture P7001-30EBS
$73.80 | Home Depot
SomerTile 11.75x11.75-inch Posh Pixie Almond Porcelain Mosaic Tiles (Set of 10)
Overstock.com
Solid Bronze Wall Tile with Egyptian Design - Bronze Patina
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™