Cleaning Haze from Glass Tiles?

eltyAugust 13, 2014

So,...

Tile: glass tile
Grout: Fusion Pro Single Component� Grout
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/grout-materials/single-component-grout/fusion-pro.aspx

Grout was applied yesterday. There is haze left over.

Can I start cleaning them since it has been 24 hours already?
What should I clean this with at first? There seems to be all kind of suggestion from vinegar, soapy water to just dry cloth.
If the first step fail, should I escalate with haze cleaner product that you can buy from home depot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kevdp4

There should be directions on the grout container.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:00PM
melissaki5

I had a similar problem and tried vinegar with absolutely no results. I eventually resorted to using sulfamic acid and it worked really well and did not damage my glass tiles. I would highly suggest testing it on a small area first to make sure it doesn't damage anything. If you do go that route have adequate ventilation going and protective clothing especially gloves and goggles.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 4:58PM
elty

I managed to clean some haze by using just microfiber cloth and water. However it takes lots of time and elbow grease, and it is very hard to clean the edge/corner.

I noticed that if I wipe across the grout line then sometimes the grout will dissolve and drip to the the tile below it. Should I wait for a few days before cleaning again? Or by that time the haze would be too hard to remove?

Also, does vinegar and the aforementioned acid consider abrasive? The tile instruction said I should use non abrasive cleaner.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 12:44PM
nancyocean

If you paid to have this done, I'd be calling the tile guy, that's his job.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:42PM
tannatonk23

I just happened to come across this post tonight and I think I can actually contribute something! I've worked for 25+ years in the stained glass hobby and the best thing I've found to clean the haze is rubbing alcohol. Just pour some on a clean T-shirt material rag and rub off the haze from the tile. It should not take a lot of effort and I doubt it would harm the grout, but test a small spot first. Use a second clean tshirt to polish it to a shine. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:53PM
grubby_AZ

There are two separate cleaning projects here: the fresh buff with recently applied grout, and maintenance cleaning. Haze doesn't get harder as it ages because haze is portland cement that's hyper thin and un-set, only dried.

Freshly, the simplest approach is buff with a dry cloth. Vinegar will cut the haze but it will also leach from the grout a little, particularly if it's fresh, so vinegar is not appropriate at this stage. It's like rubbing off the old haze and reapplying fresh haze right behind.

Glass will scratch, hence the non-abrasive cleaner for maintenance. If you're using chemicals that are so hazardous that you need extraordinary protection from them, some rethinking may be needed.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
Color difference Benjamin Moore Regal Select versus Regal Classic
We've been using Benjamin Moore Regal Classic semi...
donaleen
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™