Tiling Around Backsplash Electrical Outlets

Wren14August 2, 2010

I'm getting ready to install my subway tile backsplash, but I'm not sure how to tile around the electrical outlets. I'm not sure if I should tile just up to the edges of the plate so that it will be flush with the tile, or if I should tile under the plate so it is on top of the tile. I'd rather tile under the plate but I'm not sure how to get the outlet to protrude from the box. I read somewhere that you can buy spacers that will extend the switch/plug out from the box but I can't find them at the home improvement store. Does anyone have any suggestions based on their experience. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilydixie

We just did our backsplash. We took off the plates and tiled up to the box so the plate will go on top of the tile. Our boxes were the kind where they can be adjusted forward (they were blue and had a small screw that moved the whole thing either forward or back.) If your boxes can't be adjusted, I think these extension boxes are what you need. They'll need to go on before you tile. (I think they need to be nailed to the stud.) Maybe someone at Home Depot can tell you how they work. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot Extension box

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 2:01PM
nishka

Tiled up to the box too but still kicking myself for not thinking of putting an outlet strip under the cabinets before the drywall was replaced.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 6:58PM
bill_vincent

The cover plate comes off, and then you'll see each outlet and switch has little "ears" on top and bottom. These "ears" MUST sit on top of the tile when finished. Otherwise, they'll be sunk into the tile, or at the very least, you'll see gaps around where the coverplate comes in contact with either the switch or outlet. Below is a pic of how it should look when complete, minus the cover plate:

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 11:49PM
Wren14

Thanks everyone. I'll definately tile up to the box. I'll look for the extenders.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 7:11AM
Circus Peanut

The receptacle box extenders come in all sizes from 1/4" to 1.5" thick, so you can get exactly the depth you need to compensate for how thick your tile + mortar is. You don't have to nail them -- just lay them over the old box and screw them to the box using the same screw you're using for the receptacle itself (you might need a longer screw, they sometimes come packaged with the extender). I'm not sure the big box stores carry them (although they should); if not, go to a regular hardware store.

I learned the hard way: definitely get those little ears on the outside of the tile, otherwise nothing will fit correctly when you put it back together! :-)

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 8:36AM
Wren14

Circuspeanut - That's exactly what I need. Thank you. I just couldn't picture the extender in my head. This makes total sense!

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 6:46AM
More Discussions
Barker Cabinets sample cabinet came today!!!
I am so excited to see the sample cabinet from Barker...
dcward89
How big of a range do you need for 13+ feet of wall?
We are narrowing down our kitchen design bit by bit,...
veroni2413
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
What do you think of leathered surfaces? and why?
So I did my first foray into a granite yard today....
lawjedi
Sponsored Products
Peri Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Amber Matte Glass
$360.00 | Bellacor
Steelcase | Sit-to-Walkstation Treadmill Desk
YLiving.com
Sample- Solstice Blend 1/2� X 1/2� Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
SomerTile 2x8-inch Travessa Biselada Blanco Ceramic Moldura Trim Tile (Pack of 6
Overstock.com
Thermostatic Cloudburst Shower System with Multi-Wand & Body Jets
Hudson Reed
Samba Narrow Zig Zag Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Panthea Flatweave Runner 2'6" x 8' - NAVY
$229.00 | Horchow
WAC Modern Forms | Maze 28in Bath Light
$499.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™