The WRONG window treatments ...

EngineerChicDecember 28, 2012

We took down some truly hideous window treatments yesterday that were on the picture window in our living room.

The window is 101" wide, it's a big picture window flanked by two small windows. When 'open' the old drapes covered the small windows, which means about 2' on each end was covered no matter what. These were light blocking ugly blue drapes on a NORTH facing window.

Once we took those down, the room looks so much better. It isn't a dark, dreary place any longer. It has light and looks so much better ... Even with the bad plaster patch jobs and old nails in the walls from the PO pictures.

I think ugly, ill fitting drapes can destroy a good room. This isn't a great space by any stretch, it's infinitely "average" in fact. But not unpleasant, unless someone covers up the window with truly bad drapes.

And I don't think these were good even when they were new, it isn't just that they went out of style ... They started life as bad and aged poorly on top of it.

I am just amazed at how detrimental the wrong window treatment can be to a room. I am almost understanding how/why places like restoration hardware can charge so much for curtains.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chardie

I agree. And no window treatments trump ugly ones. When I moved into my house, the previous owner had shades, ugly curtains, and had nailed and caulked shut some of the windows. It became a bright sunny house once I removed them all. It took me all summer to finally get the kitchen windows to open. Plus he smoked, and laid carpeting throughout most of the first floor. It reaked. I couldn't take it anymore, so I ripped it up after a few weeks.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 11:17AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Even if they are the right window treatments, if they are mounted incorrectly, it can still be a problem....

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 12:45PM
lodalady

Window treatments overwhelm me, so most of my windows are without. We live in the country and don't have neighbors, so it's all good. I LOVE letting the natural light in. With that being said, my windows should have treatments for efficiency reasons but don't because it overwhelms me!

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 5:26AM
tinan

Another thing that wrong window treatments can do besides just looking bad themselves is to lend the wrong color of light to a room. Nothing worse than a room with beige carpet and walls and then pink and purple semi sheer drapes lending a sickly pink cast to the entire place! I prefer to stick to white curtains in sunny rooms for this reason, although I have used deep red or brown in a bedroom where I wanted it darker (not our current bedroom though!).

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
HGTV Fixer Upper show
I have been reading in blog land about HGTV's new show...
ratherbesewing
Need Help Choosing Area Rug for Living Room
I think I need a rug in here to anchor everything together....
mary44
Abandoned Mansions
I think abandoned places are so interesting. Even the...
jlc712
Before I Take the Tags Off........
What do you think? DH & I got this BHG set (and...
the_foxes_pad
Improvement With A Few $'s
My plain pony wall bugged me. I finally tackled it...
mustangs81
Sponsored Products
Walbrook Post Outdoor Lantern
$529.00 | FRONTGATE
Dimplex 33 in. Built-In Electric Fireplace Insert - BF33DXP
Hayneedle
Sage Jacquard Blackout Panel - Set of Two
$39.99 | zulily
Window Curtains Lined from DiaNoche Designs by Iris Lehnhardt - Green Veil
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Blindsgalore Expressions Roller Shades: Contemporary Patterns
Blindsgalore