Staining front door, library door and stsirs

lniaDecember 1, 2012

Hello

Is it typical that stairs, railings, front door, and French doors for den would be stained the same color (to match hardwood floors). Seems like too much of the same but painter said this is what most do. The balusters are black iron ore and the risers are white.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

We have cherry woodwork in our library, dining room and staircase and we stained it all the same color. The color came from our kitchen cabinet maker...not that that had to match, but I liked the color on the cabinets so much, I used it in the rest of the house. However our front door is mahogany so we made no attempt to match it, though the stain is about the same tone as on the cherry.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 9:16AM
geogirl1

As someone with cherry stained oak floors and a light oak staircase I would say, stain it all the same! I'm trying to be happy with the mix of stains, but it is not working. :)

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 9:59AM
madeyna

I like the stains to work well together but not all the same shade if that makes since. In my last house I had various shades of pecan threw out the house in trim floors I was happy with that for many years. In this house I will have various shades of red mahogany

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
Would love your input on refreshing this exterior!
Hi all, I have some ideas, but I'm not in love with...
Kristin Jennings
Spectra Home - quality?
I have been looking for a swivel club chair for DD....
bbstx
$14 Million with room air conditioners
But a spectacular view of Central Park. It would probably...
suero
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™