Please help me with granite choice.

zebra26August 10, 2012

This is the color of our stone on our fireplace. We are thinking of doing the back side of island in stone also, although not sure of that decision yet. Originally I loved Apollo Storm granite, but it does not seem to be available in my area and also not sure it would match stone. I like light colors. I was looking at Colonial Gold. It seems neutral but still with some movement. My cabinets are hickory and the floors will be also. Any recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kadiekins

Are you using natural hickory cabinets and floors or with a stain that tones down the variances in colors ? Natural hickory has so much going on, it's beautiful with a dark granite. I love the looks of hickory but I'm not sure I would want too much of a movement in the granite, would it get too busy? I'm not that great at seeing the whole picture, so just asking.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 1:21PM
zebra26

The cabinets do have a stain but a very light one. As far as the floor it does have a dark stain so not much variation. I think with all the dark going on we just need something lighter. I agree as far as movement. I don't want a lot but I don't really like the spotted kinds.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 1:31PM
kadiekins

I love movement in granite as well. Your fireplace is very beautifully done btw. Good luck in making your decision on granite, I just went through this too. It was a very difficult time for us, but I was constantly drawn to the same granite time and time again, so when I saw the slabs I purchased, I knew they were right choice for me. My advice is follow your heart. Have you done a 'story board' with your choices to see them all put together?

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 1:45PM
zebra26

No I haven't but that is a good idea.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 5:08AM
eam44

Hickory is always described as an "energetic" wood, but it isn't a dark one. I think you could go light or dark, especially if you have plenty of natural light in the kitchen. I also think the energy of the cabinets can support movement in the stone beautifully though.

Whatever you choose, I think in this case you need color contrast (no beige or light brown stone) to avoid the "jeans suit" look, if you know what I mean. How do you feel about adding a little color - a little green or blue, something not totally white and brown, like White Ice?

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 7:19AM
zebra26

I do like the movement and the light color. Color is so hard to see on the computer. It looks more gray than blue to me. I will take a look at it next time we go to the stone yard. Thank you.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 10:13AM
eam44

Detailed view of a slab with appreciable blue. Slabs vary a lot in the ratio of grey to blue. You're welcome. Really pretty house by the way.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Kitchen quote for RTA
I am shopping around for a redesigned kitchen. Below...
vonecu4
Kitchen colors....need something happy and vintage :)
I want to try to go a bit vintage with my low-dollar...
lavender_lass
Cherry and White Granite Kitchen Reveal - Lots of Photos!
First of all- this is a thank you post to the Gardenweb...
jenibufford
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
pumpkinhouse
Do upper super Susan shelves obstruct view?
The 42" tall upper corner cabinet was drilled...
tea4all
Sponsored Products
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light Outdoor Wall Sconce Bronze Finish Ribbed Fros
Home Depot
Cosby Leather Loveseat - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Winnie The Pooh Baby Boy Gift Basket - 8051
$98.99 | Hayneedle
Folding Student Bookcase
Overstock.com
Turtle's Tall Tale Giant Board Book
$9.99 | zulily
48" Beach Wagon
Fifthroom.com
Henri Studio Elegante Fleur de Lis Hybrid Fountain