One pendant, or two?

blackchamoisAugust 7, 2012

In my remodel, I will have a raised L-shaped bar as seen the sketch below. The long side of the L will extend a bit to create an overhang/bar on the one side (the short side of the L will support a bookcase/shelves.) The length of this bar/counter is about 40" (maybe more. Not sure that it will be as long as it appears in the sketch. I would know if my contractor would include the dimensions, but I picked a lame one!) Venting! Anyway, above, I would like to add a pendant, or two.

I think I will be able to accomodate two bar stools (it might be tight depending on the stools I select.) However, my question is should I do one or two pendants above?

You can see the L-shaped bar in the sketch below.

Also, to give an idea of the area in question, this is a picture of the OLD kitchen. Sorry so dark!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dama2g

I think one, larger sized pendant would look very nice. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 3:42PM
CKGM

OT but now that I see that side of your space, countertop height for sure!!! It's too short to be enough use as a raised counter and you will gain needed counter space.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 1:30AM
breezygirl

I would do one decent sized pendant.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 2:17AM
Angie_DIY

I believe the long side of your ell is 43" (not including overhangs). The dimensions are encoded in the cabinet labels, as W-D-H. On the back of the ell, you have a unit that is B31642. I believe that is 31" wide, 6" deep, and 2" high. On the short end of the ell, you have a hint that is B321242. This is 32" wide, 12" deep, and 42" high. So the long run of your ell is 31" (back cab width) + 12" (end cab depth) = 43".

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:28AM
Angie_DIY

Oops, make that "...unit that is B31642. I believe that is 31" wide, 6" deep, and 42" high."

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:40AM
blackchamois

Angie, you are a genius! I had no idea that is what those numbers refered to! Why wouldn't they have explained that to me??!! I am so frustrated with my contractor. I have had to guess at everything! Thank you! That helps SOOO much! You're hired! :)

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:51AM
Angie_DIY

Why wouldn't they have explained that to me??!!

My guess is that they are so used to using this nomenclature (it is quite common), that they don't even think that others don't know it. By the way, I think that others use W-H-D rather than W-D-H, but that should be pretty obvious from context.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 10:08AM
blackchamois

Thanks again Angie! I learn something new everyday on GW.

I am just frustrated because I have asked several times for the dimensions, and they never said "it's on the sketch". Would have answered so many of my questions.

Have a great day!!!

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 1:14PM
breezygirl

43" was my calculation also. Thats why I suggested one decently sized pendant. :) If you like those 4" micro pendants, you could use two.

How frustrating that they wouldn't tell you.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Countertops for butlers pantry
We have a wall in pantry that will need countertops...
aktillery9
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
happyallison
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
Cooktop in Island - love it or hate it?
I am leaning towards our cooktop in the island. Some...
muskoka_mum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™