Accent backsplash design behind freestanding range, or keep same?

purrusAugust 20, 2014

Hi all,

Subject basically says it all. I am using white subways for my BS. My range hood will be an industrial style stainless hood. My range is freestanding--i.e., it has a top part that extends above the backsplash.

My KD had mentioned putting a different tile type (like glossy white penny tile perhaps) above the range. But, is this done when one has a freestanding range? Most pictures I've seen online keep the tile the same throughout the entire backsplash in this case. thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
purrus

Adding: I have been known to overthink things. If this is one of those things, just tell me :)

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 12:42PM
ontariomom

I would stick with the subway throughout the back splash and resist the urge to use an accent or different tile behind the range. I think it is a more timeless look. Accent tiles come and go in popularity so for resale simpler is best.

Carol

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:53PM
nancyocean

I agree with OntarioMom, I think we can over-decorate and sometimes "less is more." The more different design elements, the less each can be appreciated, especially in an average sized kitchen.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:52PM
purrus

Ok, that is where my gut was anyway. I really wanted my quartz to stand out and be the focal point so I will just go with that.

It'll be cheaper too!!

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 4:06PM
ontariomom

One hard finish pattern per room is best from what I have read on Maria Killam's colour and decorating blog.

Carol

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 4:11PM
sjhockeyfan325

I'd resist as much because there really isn't enough room for another focal point above the range riser as for any other reason. Any accent would look squished.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 4:39PM
purrus

Sjhockeyfan, that was what I was thinking and why I asked. I was also thinking that I will have them continue the backsplash even with the counters behind the range just in case I ever get a slide-in range, you know? My range is a great GE profile and only 3 years old so it shouldn't be soon, but just in case.

It's settled, and I am relieved that for once the simpler option wins out.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Review a friend's kitchen?
You all helped me tremendously in planning our kitchen...
camandann
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Color difference Benjamin Moore Regal Select versus Regal Classic
We've been using Benjamin Moore Regal Classic semi...
donaleen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™