REVEAL on Holy 70s, Batman! condo kitchen
Last February my daughter started a thread asking for suggestions on redoing my vintage 70s condo kitchen. I got lots of wonderful help there for which I am very grateful! So many nice people here! And many thanks to my daughter especially, for all the layout planning and a bazillion other things!
Now it's 99% done, just a few odds and ends to finish up, but I know if I wait much longer to post pics I will have moved on to the next project.
So here goes. I've arranged these in an order that makes sense to me---hope it isn't too confusing!
Real estate listing photo---this is walking into the kitchen. Brick veneer on the wall, original 1978 cabs, counter, sink, DW (non-functioning), and vinyl composite tile floor.
Done! IKEA Applad cabs, IKEA beech butcherblock counter and shelf, Vigo SS sink, IKEA faucet, slide-in range by I forget, IKEA Luftig hood, Bosch DW, 16" slate floor tiles from HD ($3/sf!).
Looking from the other end of the room you can see that bulky framed wall that encloses the dishwasher. The bit of white wall showing on the left was one of two dividing walls on the opposite side, but more about that in a bit.
Same view. That's my 32" kitchen table in the left foreground. Oh, and the backsplash is 2x4 subway tiles from Home Depot ripped off the mesh backing and set in the stacked pattern rather than running bond. (SO much more work to set little tiles individually than by the sheet. SO glad I'm done with it.)
The next one is NOT of my kitchen, just the same one in another unit. I think I lost some of my before photos when my phone was stolen.
This little divider wall and another just out of frame on the left were meant to define the space, I guess, but the fridge I wanted was narrower than the existing niche, plus that's 8 running inches of potential storage taken up by walls that serve no actual function. So out they went.
Halfway through the demolition of that side of the room.
Looking back the other way, there was only 31" or so between the end of the peninsula and the divider wall that defined the open space in the right foreground. (Other units had cabinets here, some had just a counter, mine had some awful, sagging DIY shelves of redwood-stained 2x8 pine boards.)
Turning around again---sorry, don't mean to make you dizzy--the divider walls are gone. I have 4' of lowers and uppers, a 24" wide 67" high LG fridge (discontinued but they may have a new model now, not sure) with side panel, then a 24" wide pullout pantry.
Still have to hack a couple of Applad doors for those two uppers. My teeny microwave fits perfectly into a 24" wide upper. I painted the inside of that cab teal blue, which I love.
And yes, that is an outlet hanging half off the backsplash. I debated for quite awhile on what to do with it (it was supposed to be within the backsplash area) but you have to pick your battles and i had a lot of battles. And what is a kitchen without a quirk or two, right?
This was the backsplash in the work area. I think the brick veneer started falling off and someone had the brilliant idea of slathering on more mortar, including over the edges of the outlet cover plate. And then no one ever cleaned it because it was impossible to clean, of course.
Oh, and the counters---i wanted to keep them as light as possible so i did a white stain. And then I Waterlox'd them which turned them yellow but at least they're still fairly light. (Not crazy about the color of beech as it ages but these were the only non-laminate counters that fit my budget.)
The original VCT flooring was a grayish greenish color. Under it was this old adhesive which had to come off before tile could be laid. I ground off about 60 sq ft with a concrete grinder before giving up (imminent nerve damage from the vibrations!) and did the rest with chemical stripper, using a respirator. That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
Slate floor, unfinished counter, and Applad door (main surfaces).
I wanted to keep the original globe light fixtures but not in their yellowed, grubby state.
Et voila! Rustoleum 2X spray paint in an orange-red color. The cord is new, a retro style cloth-covered number in a black & white herringbone weave from ColorCord.com
And last but not least, I used the same paint on my vintage Hobart/KA lift bowl mixer that was a dingy yellowed white. Kind of a pain in the neck to do but it was worth it.