How much does it cost to repaint kitchen cabinets?

lmrinc_gwAugust 28, 2010

We have medium brown ikea cabinets and want to paint them white. I want to use a low/no voc process (someone else doing it).

I think it's going to be cheaper to just buy new cabinet fronts and panals, about $1,500. Am I wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caffeinequeen

We got a bid for $2500 to sand, prime and paint our cabinets. We're getting new, all wood locally built cabinets for $5000.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 1:18PM
creative_glo

Cabinets are priced so competitively right now, as a kitchen designer I'm finding that frequently it doesn't even pay to replace the doors, panels and edgebanding (known as refacing) when you can buy new cabinets for only slightly more. I would hesitate to put that much money into IKEA cabinets. If they were all wood cabinets in otherwise great condition maybe painting would be a good choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens for Living

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 1:31PM
babushka_cat

i agree with posters above. am buying local all wood custom cabs and then painting myself.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 2:37PM
chrisa62401

Paint is cheap, we did ours a few years ago. The stripping off the old finish is work, but it's well within most peoples skill level.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 2:40PM
scrappy25

Ikea fronts and panels should be super easy to replace if you buy from Ikea or order doors from Scherr's or the like, If the cabinets are in good shape and the layout works well. You can order unpainted doors and paint them if you don't like the Ikea styles.

Also, I had an estimate for stripping and painting for about $4000 for my 10x12 kitchen.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
Ikeafans website has closed down
I know that the Ikeafans website was seeded by gardenweb,...
scrappy25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™