Need a good alternative to carrara marble

lmrinc_gwAugust 28, 2010

We remodeled our kitchen 3.5 years ago but hate the colors....we have dark wood floor medium brown cabinets and butcher block counter tops that were supposed to be temporary. We finally ready to get the "real' counter tops but I really really want carrara marble, but I know it's probably not a good idea (over improving). We want white but I just can't find a good comp. to the marble.

I love the crisp clean look the carrara marble offers and the other things I'm seeing don't bring the clean look.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babushka_cat

check out madre perla quartzite. also search on this forum, there are many other threads with this same question that might be helpful.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 1:04PM
homechef

If your only reason to stay away from marble is overimproving, you should go for it. You can probably get carrara for less $$ than some of the alternatives, and none of the alternatives look the same up close. You will be the one stairing at your counters every day, get what you really like.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 4:58PM
donnakay2009

Do a "white granite" search. There's a white quartzite that several people have used...look at firsthouse mp's kitchen. That's the closest I've seen anyone come to the Carrara look. We had thought of marble, too, but wanted the kind that was way more than we could afford. We went with Bianco Antico granite (a lot of recent kitchens have used this, too) but it's way more veining/color/busy-ness than you want, I'm sure.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 5:18PM
aedevm

Price out the carrara with atleast 2 reputable companies before you lose hope or sleep. Wanting the same clean look, I priced out quartzites (3x the price of the marble); cambria quartz (about 4k over the marble) and Zodiaq (on sale, was the same price as marble). I priced out granites as well (River white, Bianco Romano, and Kashmir white) The River white and Kashmir were the same as marble and the Bianco was 3K more. I will be having the marble put in a few weeks from now! I did pay the 650 dollar upgrade for the lifetime sealer to avoid stains (but not all etching). Hopefully, it was money well spent. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 5:23PM
kayl

I found Persian white for my master bath. It has a touch of pink(?) in addition to the white & gray and is perhaps a bit more busy, but not much. I selected the leather finish as it seems to hold up well (personal test in my own bathroom); it is also lovely honed.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 5:31PM
sayde

You could put carrara in some key places like the island or around sink or beside stove and leave some of the butcher block. The mix of the two could be both functional and pretty.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 8:10PM
sabjimata

Price out the carrara. It is one of the cheaper stones out there! We got our kitchen done in honed and polished and LOVE it!!!!!

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™