Home Gym...paint color ideas??

lizzie_growDecember 5, 2008

We have recently been able to turn a room in our lower level into an exercise room. It does have a west facing window, so gets some sunlight. The trim in the room is creamy white & the carpet is sort of "builder's beige neutral, but maybe with a hint of taupe in it...pretty neutral.

So, we have a blank slate which houses a treadmill, bike trainer & small pilates, silver metal shelving for a flat screen tv & that's about it. I'd like the color to have a tranquil effect, but with some life to it, if that makes sense. The hallway outside that room is a sage green.

Any ideas how to make this a fun inspiring space?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
callaloo

My husband and I turned a portion of our unfinished basement into an exercise space -- basically concrete walls and floors, but with a full size window and plenty of light. We got a berber carpet remnant for the floor. I painted the floor and walls in colors I love (because I need all the encouragement I can get down there), albeit the color choices were limited because I needed to use a special paint for concrete. I did the floor in a creamy yellow, and the walls in a spring green. I also have a large piece of batik fabric with a dramatic and colorful tropical scene, which is mounted on a piece of foam core, to decorate the space. Despite the drama of the "art", it's a pretty mellow looking space. (But I still need to force myself to go down there to use the elliptical...).

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 8:21AM
lizzie_grow

Thank you callaloo...that sounds very cheerful & I agree that we need all the enticement we can get to go down & use those machines!! I had actually been thinking of a cheerful green & I really like the idea of something large on the wall...something graphic. Thanks again.

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 12:25PM
auntjen

Our guest room doubles as our workout room. When I set about fixing it up, I knew that what would inspire me best towards getting in good, long workouts was thinking about where I really wanted to look my best, and that's at the beach. (We travel to Mexico a couple of times a year.) I painted the walls in S-W Aqueduct, which is a breezy aqua/turquoise that reminds me of cool water, and decorated with vintage bathing beauty and tropical photos, prints, etc. It's a fun room to "sweat" in ... and when I'm reminded of my next trip to Cabo, I'm definitely inspired to get in the best workout possible! :-)

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 12:37PM
suero

My exercise room is painted BM Man on the Moon, a very pale yellow. It puts me in a sunny mood. I also have large mirrors on one wall to encourage me to stay in shape.

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 2:08PM
lizzie_grow

Thanks for the ideas, ladies! We are going to do a tropical look to remind us of Hawaii, my husband's favorite place! I'll take some of our vacation photos & enlarge & frame them...hope it motivates me to get down there more...hee!

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 11:47PM
auntjen

Sounds like a great plan, Lizzie! I found a pic of my workout room, such as it is. It's quite colorful, but helps me to feel motivated! (We've replaced the white blinds with wood-stained blinds, which helps bring more of a natural look to the room.)

Bookmark   December 7, 2008 at 1:15PM
texashottie

Cool! I like AJ's room a lot!! Makes it fun to go in there!
I would definitely do something spicey---not a color so sedating that you lose your motivation to work out. But I can understand not wanting to paint your walls a screaming orange or red either!
My local gym painted their walls a really soft yellow too. It's non-offensive and sunny. I think the trick is finding the *right* yellow.

Bookmark   December 7, 2008 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Anyone want a crystal chandelier?
My BIL recently passed away. He had no wife or children....
badgergal
Need Light for Kitchen Table
So, I am posting old photos of my kitchen (it has since...
sheilaaus122
Why do you decorate?
I'm sure this has come up a million times before ....
anele_gw
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Do you like decor on the coffee table?
This relates back to our 'magazine house' discussion....
selcier
Sponsored Products
Braxton Leather Chair - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
what-EVER! Clary Sage & Citrus All-Purpose Cleaner - Set of Two
$9.99 | zulily
Avocado Pucker 18 x 18 Pillow
$69.60 | Bellacor
Acclaim Lighting Posts Direct-Burial Lamp Posts Collection 7 ft. Gloss White
$86.00 | Home Depot
Sophia Blue Tile
$12.99 | Dot & Bo
New Traditional Veg Dyed Heriz Serapi 9x12 Oriental Blue & Ivory Wool Rug H3534
BH Sun Inc
Kyle Linear Suspension by Quoizel
$549.99 | Lumens
Tabouret Silver with Back 30-inch Bar Stools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™