Backsplash to coordinate with busy granite?

AnitaRnAugust 21, 2013

We are starting a kitchen makeover in our new to us house. We are going to paint the cabinets a creamy white and glaze, and change the flooring out to hardwoods. The walls are going to be a buttery yellow with a walnut stain over it. I do not know the name of the granite, but it is very busy and has more of a golden hue than what the picture is showing. I am stumped with what to do for the backsplash. I want something simple that does not compete, but also something that has a personality to it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpagmom

I saw a blog post on this once (and I'll link it below) that may help. This designer would say creamy white subway with a colored grout, and I agree in your case. I'll post the before/after from the blog.

Before:

After:

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog post with new backsplash

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bowyer123

I also have busy granite, wood floors and creamy cabinets. No paint in the kitchen, but a khaki color in the adjoining rooms.

We went with a crackle subway with a herringbone pattern over the cook top. We wanted the granite to really be the focal point. I didn't want to try to be trendy with the back splash, and played it safe, but are happy with the look. Other Garden-Webers suggested a mural over the cook top, but the pattern added a bit of 'pop' and broke up the long run of tiles.

I may be in the minority (maybe!), but I really don't think you can go wrong with plain subway tiles. Too many times the back splashes seem to compete with the granite, cabinets and/or floors and they wind up looking busy or disjointed.

With that said, I say keep it simple!

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Anyone have TCE4005 quartz counters (or any other carrara-lookalike)?
Hi there, I'm still in the process of trying to pick...
Melissa Silva
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
How old will I be?
How long did your kitchen remodel take, from the tearing...
ryseryse_2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™