more buried treasure! old 1910 lino floor

Circus PeanutAugust 2, 2012

Oooh, look what I just discovered under the vct tile in my new old house. The vintage gods have blessed us and the particle board above it was not glued on, just stapled, so it's just a matter of ripping it off carefully. The surface of the linoleum looks pretty good, albeit with some yellowing, and I've read that one can sand it carefully and refinish, since the color goes all the way through.

Since the previous owners absconded with the house plans, I'm hoping this lino border can provide a 'map' as to the original outlines of the kitchen space.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregincal

Very cool. I like the pattern on the grey section.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 12:38PM
rosie

Terrific! I didn't realize it could be refinished. Your former owners did a good job choosing color and pattern for several generations' use. If only we could see their reaction to your delight nearly a century later, though... :)

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 1:14PM
CEFreeman

It's like Christmas, isn't it? :)

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 1:24PM
lavender_lass

That's great!

MamaGoose posted this scullery link, on the Smaller Homes forum...originally from the kitchen forum. You've probably seen it before, but if you could somehow open the wall between the butler's pantry and the kitchen (maybe take down that mudroom wall?) this might be another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Scullery

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:14PM
debrak_2008

That would be so cool.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:15PM
marcolo

I really, really hate to say this, but: Test it for asbestos--especially if you want to sand it.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 3:46PM
gregincal

From what I've read linoleum itself was never made with asbestos. It's possible that the backing or glue could contain it, but I think in 1910 unlikely. Asbestos started to be used more widely in flooring in the 1920's with asphalt tiles and really took off in the 1940's and '50s with introduction of vinyl flooring.

We had to remove our old kitchen floor in our 1909 house due to a 1950's remodel with vinyl asbestos tile, so you need to be sure the floor is original.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 5:06PM
marcolo

I agree that there's strong hope there's no asbestos there, but testing really is called for.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 6:15PM
a2gemini

Was thinking the same thing...
Good luck!
Great find for historical purposes

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 6:57PM
iroll_gw

Aside from color, the patterning on my Marmoleum is the same as your beautiful original linoleum. I'd love to see it refinished, good luck!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Polished chrome and polished nickel fixtures in same kitchen?
This is what I get for not figuring everything out...
windycitylindy
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™