Wrong grout color!! Delorean gray too dark :'-(

IkeaDaemonAugust 14, 2014

My tile guy finished grouting my white subway tile yesterday with Delorean Gray TEC AccuColor grout.

The grout looks way darker than I thought it would look. The tile guy also filled the 1/16" space with more grout than I had anticipated, making the grout lines even thicker and more noticeable.

Mehta should I do? If I decide to regrout, I know I should do it before the grout fully cures. Should I consider bleaching or coloring it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyocean

It might dry lighter, so I'd wait till it's fully dried, but I had to paint grout once and it's not that difficult, it also acts as a sealer, so don't seal you grout, it will prevent the paint from adhering well. Do a small sample and wait for it to dry, it dries lighter. Another option is to mix white grout paint with water and "white wash" the grout until you get the color you want. Whatever you do, wait till the grout has had time to cure.

I always recommend doing a sample board up with you choice of grout before you commit. Grout isn't that expensive and sometimes the coloring samples aren't very accurate. I just hot glue some tile to cardboard and mixed a little water with the grout and it gave me a much better idea, what the finished product would look like.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 12:09PM
sjhockeyfan325

On another thread, someone mentioned grout colorant by Aquamix, so I guess you could use that. But yes, I'd wait for it to dry, because it will dry lighter.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 12:44PM
debrak2008

Can you post a photo?

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:40PM
function_first

I used DeLorean gray on a tile project and loved it when it finished, and was really disappointed when it dried because it dried soooooo much lighter. Just wait -- youâÂÂre gonna get what you want.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:46PM
cookncarpenter

I used Delorean Gray in our kitchen with white tile in 1986, and at first thought it was too dark also.
Give it time, it will lighten up and be fine!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
Cabinet coat for office
I am painting over dark stained builtins in our home...
erinnicole
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
Has anyone heard of/used Hominter?
Our new house build is proceeding and while we haven't...
beckysharp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™