Five things that date a kitchen or make it look builder basic:
I have a list of items that when I see them done in remodeling or new build make them look basic or dated from the start. Anyone care to add or dispute? Please remember this is just my opinion and I know that some times due to budget and size limitations it is necessary to have these features in the design.
My top Five things that date a kitchen remodel or make it look builder basic:
1. Raised bar in the kitchen (reserve the raised counter for a basement bar)
2. over the range Microwave hood (a simple broan type under cabinet range hood vent will look much better than a microwave hood)
3. Short 30 inch cabinets (minimum of 36 inch in any new build or remodel)
4. Appliances that are black, white or cream (high end painted appliances are a plus)
5. Travertine tile back splash (I did this one and regret it)
This is just my opinion, if you are remodeling or doing a new build it is worth the extra money to avoid basic mistakes.