different drapes on windows along same wall?

dragonfly08November 6, 2012

First time poster on the Home Decorating forum... feel like I've "graduated" from the kitchen page now that renovation is done!

We have a fairly open floor layout with the kitchen, dining room and family room open to each other. It's been months and kinda slow coming... but I'm finally on to decorating. I am planning on doing curtains in the DR in a different color (and perhaps texture) than the curtains in the FR. The windows, 2 in each room, exist along the same external wall... however, they are separated by a wall, though both are open to the kitchen. Any thoughts about this? Standing in my kitchen, would it appear jarring to look at both rooms at the same time and see different window treatments? You'll see that the FR will have double curtains with sheer under layer versus only single layer curtains in DR which we'll keep open most of the time.

Here's a shot from my kitchen (using a "panoramic" setting on the camera so please excuse the funny curve that appears in photo!):

Also, if you all wouldn't mind... any color suggestions? Our walls in both DR and FR are BM Shaker Beige. I do have drapes already purchased for the DR in a light gold/tan color that's a shade darker than walls. My main concern is that the backsplash in the kitchen is a blue-grey color and I'm afraid of picking a color scheme in the other 2 rooms that may clash, since layout is so open. The one color I think I'll need to avoid is green. If I wanted to coordinate the colors, my immediate thought goes to light blue or grey in FR, but I'd like to avoid being too matchy-matchy or having a blue-grey house! Thoughts or suggestions? Here are some shots of the kitchen with tile/wall color:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Swoon worthy kitchen!! OMG!!!
I see no reason whey you can't have different curtains....but they need to look very similar from the outside....perhaps linings would do it....but don't do tie backs in one and roman shades in another.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 10:37PM
dragonfly08

oh goodness... those pics came out big!

lindac... thanks for your response. I hadn't thought about how they'd look from the outside, so that is something I will keep in mind.

Any other suggestions? Especially if I were to do a color scheme in the FR that includes grey-blue? Would you tend to stay away from that color in the FR because of the kitchen backsplash/wall?

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:14AM
kswl2

Adore your kitchen!!!!!! No immediate suggestions for curtains except to line them similarly so they look uniform from the exterior.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - I hate it!!
I'm painting a few pieces of furniture for my daughters...
aggierose
BM Manchester Tan in a room with tall ceilings or a wide open space?
Does anyone have BM Manchester Tan in a room with tall...
msrose
Wood filler when sanding isn't possible
My toilet paper holder is attached to my vanity. I...
Linelle
what could make these sheers more modern?
The bamboo roman shade in one of these windows fell...
melle_sacto
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Sponsored Products
VIG Furniture - Divani Casa A94 - Contemporary Bonded Leather...
Great Furniture Deal
Hummingbird Sundial Birdbath
Signature Hardware
Cosmopolitan Beige Linen Counter Stools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Stratos Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Modern Fan Company
$384.00 | Lumens
Justice Design Group POR-8921 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce - Round Flared Shade
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Glomar Track Lighting 3-Light PAR30 Russet Bronze Gimbal Ring Track Lighting
$73.99 | Home Depot
Milos Fitted Sheet
$649.00 | FRONTGATE
Blindsgalore Designer Roman Shades: Solid Colors
Blindsgalore
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™