Kohler Carrizo sink - only one drain?

MizLizzieAugust 27, 2012

Thanks in advance from a newbie. I'm revamping the kitchen and thinking of going from my Kohler Lakefield sink which has a small side basin for disposal to the odd looking Carrizo, pictured. This means I'll have only one drain, and it will have to accommodate my garbage disposal which, admittedly, I rarely use. But the Carrizo's odd platform looks so useful for draining pots and washing veggies. And as I get older and the back sometimes flares up, the Lakefield sometimes feels too deep. So the Carrizo might come in handy.

Is there a downside to having the disposal on your only drain? Am I overlooking any other disadvantage? I am on my 3rd Lakefield, which has been my go-to sink for 25 years in every house. Change is a fearful thing. ;-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
localeater

I don't have a disposal and can't answer your question about the drain. Just wanted to mention that I rarely used my disposal because I compost, so I had it removed and gained under sink storage space.
I think the Carrizo sink is odd in a very cool way. Would you be concerned about the porcelain chipping on the big flat area though? I guess I am asking if you will be the only one using the sink, I have young and teen sons so I would worry- LOL.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:49PM
Angie_DIY

Lots of us with single-bowl sinks have a disposal on our only drain. I haven't found a downside yet.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 1:49PM
ak0402

When I had a double-bowl sink, I disliked taking the dripping slimy strainer of the non-disposal drain over to the disposal side to dump the strainer's contents. So I think you will like not having to do that any more. I am now a single-bowl girl (30" wide, and would've gone wider if I could've), and wouldn't go back to a double bowl. My only concern with the sink you pictured is whether you can put down a roasting pan to soak, or a large stock pot or dutch oven to soak. I am not familiar with that kind of sink with a ledge, but it would be something to check out.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:57PM
MizLizzie

Thanks, all. We are old empty-nesters so not too worried re chipping but the roasting pan issue is a concern. Kohler has a PDF diagram but it doesn't show the individual bowl size. It's 22" deep across, tho -- probably 19" at the bottom. Some pans could rest and soak on the platform. It's kinda workable. I'd very much like to see this sink on display. And I see they have drilled only into the granite for the soap dispenser and sprayer. I am not sure I like that. But the sink has a lot to recommend it. Still torn.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
I Found Yer Problem, Lady
You can't screw 1/4" plate steel through plywood...
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Terracotta versus porcelain versus ???? for floors
Would love to have input on what to use for the floor....
sayde
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
Framed beaded inset or frameless? Same price
I finally have decided on Cabinet wood and cabinet...
Traumanurse1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™