Getting the clean-up zone right: please help place 2 Dishwashers
We are happy with our layout, but are micro-examining it zone by zone. We want to make sure the clean-up zone is the best it can be. We don't want to move the clean-up sink from the peninsula as we like that spot best for various reasons. I would like to know the pros and cons of two options of dishwasher placement we have shown below. Dish storage is in drawers on end of island and some in the purple glass dish cabinet. Here are the pros and cons I can think of for the two options. Please let me know which option you would prefer and why. Also, kindly let me know if there are other pros or cons that I have not listed. Thank you very much!!!!!
Pros for Option A with 2 DW side by side
1) Allows for a shorter peninsula so less walking around from dining room to kitchen
2) Consolidates dirty dish plunking to one side with clean dish rack on right
3) Does not crowd the corner cabinets
4) Both DW are nice and close to dining room where we eat every dinner,
Cons for options A with DW side by side
1) Will likely require one DW with a cabinet panel so it looks aesthetically pleasing (more $$)
2) Can't load two DWs at same time from one standing postion, although honestly I can't see that happening as that would require us to be on top of unloading more than we tend to be
3) Might be a bit more awkward to reach the DW farther from sink for loading.
Pros of option B DW on either side of sink
Note re image: please ignore the fact that the left DW looks smaller -- they will be the same size.
1)Can stand in front of sink and load either DW comfortably
2)Looks better and we can use non-paneled DWs.
3)Sink is more centered and the need to use corner space for clean dish rack is lessened. If a second person is helping drying the hand washed pots, they can get to them easier (again this is a rare event as usually pots drip dry without aid of a t-towel).
Cons of option B DW on either side of sink
1) Means a peninsula is at least 6 inches longer than option B so more walking around.
2)The right DW is squishy to corner (20 inches between corner and right DW has been left on plan shown).
3)Crosses dirty dish/clean dish area more
4) Right hand DW is a bit farther from dining room and snack zone. I
5) Right hand DW blocks the secondary prep zone (under top window more when being unloaded or loaded.
Please give me your vote and rationale behind which option you would choose. I rarely see kitchens with 2 DWs side by side, so I may be missing a con with this option.
This post was edited by OntarioMom on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 14:09