What size christmas tree with 10 foot ceiling?

jillandmattNovember 17, 2012

Hello- our new home has 10 foot ceilings and we need to buy a Christmas tree. The 9 foot tall tree will fit of course but I'm concerned it will look too massive in our great room which is about 14'x20'. Any thoughts??? Should we stick with the 7.5 foot tree or go for the 9'? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nini804

Go for the 9'! We have 10' ceilings and it looks wonderful to have a tree filling the vertical space. We may actually get a 10' this year, because you lose so much when you make the fresh cut, etc...

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 9:49PM
porkandham

Go with the bigger tree!

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 9:56PM
ratherbesewing

I would go for the 9 ft, but would consider a slim-line tree (not a pencil). This way you have the height, but not huge dimension at the base of the tree.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 7:29AM
LuAnn_in_PA

10 foot!

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:15PM
blfenton

We've gone back and forth on this same issue and have bought varying heights of trees through the years. When the extended family was smaller we went with the bigger tree. Our LR is a little bigger than your space and the bigger trees do take up more "around" space. As the extended family got bigger with nieces and nephews marrying and starting to have kids (we always have Christmas dinner) the tree had to take up less room so we started to go with the shorter ones.

Both sizes can be dramatic in their own right. It really comes down to how you decorate it and show it off.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:22PM
Oakley

I agree about getting a slim tree, at 9'. My old LR was 12 x 20, close to your LR measurements, and it drove me crazy putting our tree up until I bought a slimmer one. They're just as pretty as the fuller one's.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 4:21PM
Lake_Girl

I actually saw a 9ft. slim artificial tree at Walmart that looked pretty good. I have 10ft. ceilings also and we get a live tree. I always look for the skinniest, tallest one I can find in my budget :)

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 5:28PM
gsciencechick

I agree, filling the height can be so beautiful. But like a PP mentioned, sometimes the larger trees are "girthy."

This tree was gorgeous, but it was huge! It barely fit in our corner. We also had to trim a little bit off the top branch. It was supposed to be 6-7' what we ordered but was closer to 8'.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 6:15PM
jillandmatt

I think I will go with a 9' on the slimmer side. Thank you to everyone who replied. I really appreciate the help!

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Area Rugs - Will Viscose rug last?
Hi, I am in the midst of redecorating my LR & DR....
fillagirl
Is this a great statement or a great ugly mess?
Hello to all I could use your input here I have a mid...
chicagoerin
Office ready for window treatments - WWYD?
I finally hung the diplomas and DH's favorite print...
2pups4me
kitchen cabinets --- minimizing regrets
the GIVENS; small L-shaped kitchen is part of small...
mainewire
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™