Ideas for Using Beadboard

artlover13060November 11, 2009

I'm in the middle of a basement remodel and would like to create a cottage look. I'm only remodeling the gray area on the floor plan.

I love beadboard but I don't want it everywhere. Can I put it on some walls and not others? How would it look on the bottom of the half wall under the shelf, or in my art nook, or down the hall? The colors look off on my monitor. The new wall color is peach and the floors are oak finish Novalis tiles. I haven't painted the art nook yet.

After the floors we are replacing the suspended ceiling with sheetrock.

I would really like this space to be like a cottage retreat. The only furniture in the basements is bookcases and sofa. I know it's impossible to tell much with all the mess. It looks like a cyclone hit!

Floor Plan

Looking towards TV room

Looking down the hall

Bookcase with baseboard trim at end of hall

Standing in art nook and looking towards TV room. Keyboard has to stay on this wall.

Art nook:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloe_s_mom

I think that you could use it in the art nook, if you created a logical 'stop' to separate the hallway from the nook. Maybe a bookshelf? Or some wide moulding running from celing to floor?

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 9:39PM
artlover13060

I like the idea of adding beadboard to the art nook. It's hard to tell from the photos but the door to the backyard is on the right-hand wall and might be a spot to stop.

Here's a new floor plan showing windows. Red indicates potential beadboard.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 6:45AM
oakleyok

That's your basement? I love it! If it were here in tornado alley I'd never leave it in the spring. lol.

If you want the cottage look, what about doing the whole gray area with beadboard? It may look choppy if it's only on one wall.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 8:09AM
artlover13060

I like the idea of adding beadboard to the art nook. It's hard to tell from the photos but the door to the backyard is on the right-hand wall and might be a spot to stop.

Here's a new floor plan showing windows. Red indicates potential beadboard.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 7:17PM
chloe_s_mom

Hmmm, I think that I'd try to keep it out of that hallway, if confining it to one room. Do you feel that it would be too cottagey to have beadboard everywhere? For a low cost solution, you could try beadboard wallpaper (I had to try it myself before becoming a believer) in my DD1's room - easy to remove should she decided to change the decor (no doubt that will happen as she's only 5!)

In my first house, we put up a chair rail around the whole finished basement area and painted the upper portion a different colour from the bottom. Another possibility? Maybe a combo of the two (beadboard in the art nook, continuing on as a chair rail for the rest of the area)?

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
This is why you don't pick paint colours off the internet
This photo has been circulating the internet today....
amberm145
Can we talk about throw pillows?
I'm puzzled about throw pillows on sofas, loveseats...
pocopson
MBR has been painted Wheeling Neutral!
Here's an update on our MBR paint color. Earlier this...
bac717
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
Another example of a small house - living kinda big
This just happened to come across my view this morning...
steph2000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™