Granite Cut by Knife

GODJOEYAugust 29, 2013

Yesterday my knife slipped thinking my granite could take a knife slice it did not. It slightly scored the granite enough that my nail can catch it but it's hard to see by the eyes alone.

I have now read all these slabs were resin coated. Maybe it is the coating that got sliced. Is there anything anyone can recommend as a filler without messing with the rest of the resin coat?

Sad I wish people told me this before I got the granite it is not forgiving as I was lead to believe. Would a polish help?

I just purchased Hope plolish to see if ths helps heh just another lesson I got to learn first hand. Thank you for any responses I appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

It is unlikely you actually scratched granite with a kitchen knife. Most often the "scratch" is actually the metal edge of the knife left behind on the surface of the stone. Take steel wool and rub the "scratch"; most likely the line will disappear as the steel wool removes the metal from the surface of the stone.

This is why we don't recommend people cut on their granite; not because it'll scratch the granite but rather because the granite will ruin the edges on their cutlery. (would you cut something on your driveway with a good kitchen knife?)

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
knobs or pulls on cabinets - function vs. look
Hi all, We are still slowly inching along with our...
remodel-mama
kitchen cabinets
I'm thinking about buying Mouser cabinets. Has anyone...
lmpotter
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
Kitchen Cabinet pricing - what would you do?
I had had a few quotes done for my kitchen cabinets:...
petralikesyoga
Would this open shelf look OK between the wall oven and range hood?
I need a quick decision made so DH can carry on with...
laughablemoments
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™