Another range hood height question.

ChristyMcKAugust 15, 2014

Our Vent-a-hood is a 21" deep 9" tall hood recommended it be 24-27" above the cooktop. It is 600-900cfm (it claims it's 600 is work 900 cfm) with dual blowers. Our range is a Lacanche with the highest burner being 18k. Total BTU capacity is 64k. My husband is 6'3" and I'm 5'6".

27" seems low. I realize the higher you go the more you lose in capture but what's the highest you would go given these specs?

My main concern is my husband hitting his head when cooking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
purrus

following! I'm 5'10" and want my hood to be functional, but I also worry about having it in my way while cooking.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 10:55AM
kksmama

I recommend visiting as many showrooms and real homes as possible with a tape measure. You will get a feel for how high you want the hood to be. Having a hood wider than the cooktop helps with capture.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 11:44AM
Mags438

We had a similar dilemma. Looking at showrooms didn't work for us because our space is small and showroom space large. If possible, mark up wall above range area to check out height differences. We waited until cabs were in to get a realistic feel.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 11:49AM
ChristyMcK

Our range is 39" wide and hood is 42" wide. It's a little off center because it's a retrofit with existing cabinetry. Perhaps a piece of cardboard sticking out 21" placed at different heights might be helpful - thanks for the idea!

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
Mixing finishes
Appliances are white with brushed stainless handles...
oasisowner
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™