Backsplash Solution Please!!

marnopolisAugust 14, 2014

Hi everyone,

We recently relocated our over-the-range microwave and had a cabinet range hood built.

The 3x6 tumbled backsplash tile samples just arrived and they are much whiter than the existing tiles, as you can see from the photo.

The stone place where the backsplash was purchased years ago is now closed and these sample tiles we have are the same name - Tumbled Pearl - but I know natural stone can vary a lot. It's also possible that the grout, which I found there is some on the tile fronts, may have yellowed over the years and it's possible I could polish them and it would make them whiter.

We could do an accent over the range but I definitely want a clean look and not another color, especially since the space is only 30" wide.

I like herringbone tile, what if we found it in the a similar color and placed it in the space over the range? We could buy the 3x6's (that I have samples of) and do a herringbone pattern in that space.

Please give me your ideas!

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gemcap

You could consider painted glass backsplash for the whole area above the range. The caveat being that the current tiles above the range need to be cut out neatly to avoid jagged ends.

http://www.houzz.com/painted-glass-backsplash

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:22AM
localeater

Beautiful hood. IMO, close always looks like a miss. You could keep looking for a matching stone, dont try to match by name. Take one of your tiles with you. You could also remove the tile in the stove backsplash space and reinstall it intermixed with something new in a pattern, use it to frame a new insert, or just go with all of a new, not necessarily high contrast, tile or even a stainless sheet.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:29AM
may_flowers

With your fridge, stove, and DW visible in the pic, you're talking about a small area of backsplash. I'd just replace it with something new.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:35AM
nosoccermom

You could do a stainless steel just behind the range, maybe even with a shelf, like this:

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:50AM
greenhaven

Or you could put a cap on the existing tile and just paint above it to match the cabs.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:38AM
AquaLove

You could also put a shelf there, maybe 6 or 8 inches deep, and paint above it.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 1:12PM
vdinli

I would just paint it and if the difference bothers you, put a decorative platter of some sort. Or put in a glass or stainless steel shelf at the partition. Beautiful Hood!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 3:53PM
Kooops

I will soon be having the same problem. We are doing stainless behind our range. I think it would look nice in your case, or even just a shelf like others suggested.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™