Can you pair bin pulls with flat fronts?

HydrageaAugust 1, 2014

Hey -
I rather like the look of bin pulls, but I also like the look and ease-of-cleaning (and price!) of flat-fronted cabinets.

So I'm wondering whether you can pair the two, or is this crazy-talk?

Also - Any pics of this combo would be great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linelle

More and more I'm appreciating slab fronts. I just went to Houzz and searched on "slab front drawers bin pulls" (without the quotes). By about the third photo I found this. Example on left of photo. Looks fine to me.

Traditional Kitchen by Boston Kitchen & Bath Designers Dalia Kitchen Design

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:16AM
CTN30

Yes, definitely. We'll be doing that, and we had it in our old home. Basically the exact look pictured above.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:25AM
annaship1

We'll be putting bin pulls on our flat fronts, too!

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:48AM
cloud_swift

We think they pair well. Here are some of ours (5 piece on drawer fronts taller than 8", slab on the shorter drawer fronts):

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:26PM
nosoccermom

But the white kitchen has shaker cabs. I thought OP wanted all slab fronts.

Below, scroll down to Pal's post.

Here is a link that might be useful: flat fronts bin pulls

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:05PM
Hydragea

Pal's post shows slab, but they're inset. In the same post, though, I saw this pic of slab fronts without the reveal (Frameless, I think they're
called?), which is sort of what I was considering:

I don't know about you, but I think it looks rather nice!

Those slab fronts seem to have a slight curve at their edges, and I'm thinking that's why they can accept a bin pull. Seems like if those doors had very square edges, they would require a more modern pull.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:32PM
marcojohnson

We're doing pulls on the lowers, flat-front uppers (pull from bottom lip or pop-latch). Pix soon :)

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:41PM
cloud_swift

Nosoccer, the drawers in the white kitchen have slab fronts; the doors are 5-piece. That's what is typical in real shaker furniture.

We were going for transitional/contemporary in a mid-70's MCM house. After living with them for 20 years, we were tired of slab self-pull (i.e. just a finger notch on the edge of the door or drawer) cabinets.

We chose a simple shaker door on frameless cabinets with a non-fussy clean line bin pull for the drawers and I think it works without fighting with the house.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 2:33PM
nosoccermom

Are 5-piece with raised outer pieces, or is it basically flat?

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 5:21PM
debrak2008

I don't have any pics but we have cup pulls on our flat drawers shaker cabinets in our kitchen and our bathroom. To me it looks perfect.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 5:35PM
cloud_swift

Nosoccermom, I'm not sure if you are asking about my kitchen or the white kitchen. In both cases the doors are 5 piece with the panel recessed like for typical shaker doors. The drawers (in our case the drawers less than 8" high) are slab, i.e. a single flat piece of wood for the front).

In our kitchen, as you can see in the picture, the taller drawers are 5 piece with the same profile as the doors - rails and stiles raised with a recessed flat center.

Here is a more close up picture showing the bin pull on the top rail of one of the tall drawers and a bit of the slab drawer front above with its bin pull:

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 6:41PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Modern slab DOOR cabinets (NOT shaker doors and slab drawers) is what the OP is talking about. And while the design police might not arrest you for mixing very contemporary with very traditional, they will whisper behind your back.

Contemporary Kitchen by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Applegate Tran Interiors

Contemporary Kitchen by Vancouver Home Stagers Flüff Designs & Decor

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:58PM
Linelle

I posted that picture from Houzz upstream. I wasn't paying attention to whether there were 5-piece mixed in with slab. The OP asked if bin pulls could be paired with flat fronts (slab). When I found a pic that showed flat fronts (drawers) I thought there they are and they look dandy. Whether an entire kitchen of slab will support them, I cannot say because I have no clue.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Cabinet vision software - Barker Cabinets
Has anyone been able to do their layout through Cabinet...
tigger9759
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Scullery...
What are your thoughts about a scullery? A place to...
lavender_lass
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™