Would A Half Bullnose Look Good... Picture

trudymomAugust 14, 2008

Would a half bullnose granite edge look good with an island like this that has an overhang, or should I use a pencil edge? My overhang looks like the first picture, but my island is styled with all drawers like the second picture. Drawers are shaker style. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oskiebabu

I personally think a full bull nose looks much better. It is also much safer if you have small children that could bump their heads into the countertop edge. A half bullnose has a much sharper edge, while a full bullnose is totally rounded. Either will hurt if you bump your head into it, but you are not likely to split the skin and bleed with a full bullnose.

Greg

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 11:03AM
igloochic

In the pictures it appears that the counters have an eased edge, which is a nice soft squared edge. Personally I prefer that clean look to having rounded edges, especially when they drop off into a straight line (like a half bullnose).

Don't get me wrong...I like designed edges, and have some magnificant ones going into my home, but with my shaker style cabs, I went with a similar profile of a squared edge (eased so the edges aren't pencil sharp) which flows well with the squares on the doors.

A couple of times our KD (My design, her order and a few tweeks) has suggested curved "stuff" (wood etc) to add to the kitchen. The rounded items never look good with the clean squared edges of shaker in my opinion.

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 11:08AM
rhome410

I prefer an eased edge as shown in the photos...a nice, simple, clean line...especially with Shaker, as igloo said. But then I have to admit that I always prefer a square shaped edge to rounded.

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 11:11AM
debo_2006

A 1/2 bullnose would look great. Basically, it's a square edge without the sharp edge. We have the 1/2 bull on our granite and I really like it. We were going to get the full bullnose, but I read here about how drippings will run off the full rounded edge on onto the wood cabinets. Makes sense.

In addition, I've also read here that a square, sharper edge can chip more easily than a rounded one. Makes sense as well.

The 1/2 bullnose looks classic, IMO.

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Brickton's Finished Kitchen
We started our house in the fall of 2011 and moved...
brickton
Looking for stainless steel sink recommendations
Hey GW - I am looking for a single bowl SS sink for...
swatyreno
Shiloh vs. Diamond - Help!
We are in the process of a large remodel of our home....
jalit1013
Kitchen design assistance - Small kitchen
I have a 12x13 foot kitchen with way too many entry...
schuste1
Kitchen sink: Help me find the right one!
This should not be as hard as signing in and finding...
Alma Williams
Sponsored Products
Angel ANG02 Gray Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Shag Rug
$66.24 | Bellacor
Hand-woven Black/ Cream Bamboo Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Nexus Wall Sconce by Maxim Lighting
$58.00 | Lumens
Red 9'' Bowl - Set of Four
$18.99 | zulily
Chrome Two Handle Lavatory Faucet
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Kichler Mount Vernon 12 1/2" High LED Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Justice Design Group FAL-8521 - Tradition 1 Light Wall Sconce - Round Flared Sha
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Area Rug: Dudley Beige 9' x 13'
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™