paint colors with honey oak cabinetry

jenniferdocNovember 16, 2009

From

Please forgive the quality of the photo, I cropped my family out!

We want to paint the crown molding, chair rail, base molding, and walls of our kitchen. All the trim and the cabinetry is the honey oak. We will be keeping the cabinetry as is. I would LOVE any suggestions for paint colors for both the trim/chair railing and also the walls (we are removing the horrible wallpaper and border) that would look good with the oak. Thanks so much!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dk4mich

I have very similar cabinet color in my kitchen. I ended up painting my walls "Butter" (yellow). It is a Lowes color -- their American Signature, Waverly. The trim is in a Pale Ivory - Lowe's American Signature, Waverly. I love the way it looks with the cabinets and get many compliments.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 8:40PM
lukkiirish

We have similar colored cabinets too, and like dk4mich did our kitchen in yellow as well. I wanted a warm and vibrant sunflower(ish) yellow and Ralph Lauren Finch Gold did the trick.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 9:19AM
boysrus2

I have similiar wood tones in my KIT, BR and FR, maybe more caramel than yours. I tried to go yellow and tried SW White Raisin. Looked terrible. Ended up using SW Grasslands.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 9:47AM
newhomebuilder

What color is your countertop?

dk4mich and lukkiirish - Do you have photos? My daughter and new son-in-law have similar honey cabinets and they are trying to decide on a color that goes with their dark green counter top.

boysrus2 - Your cabinets appear to be darker than the OP's. I like your choice of color. :)

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 10:00AM
mistybear11

If you want something different. My walls are dark in colour and I have a lot of honey coloured wood. This isn't a favourite of many but it works for me.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 10:39AM
datura-07

I'm at the same point. I have the oak cabnets and my granite is smilar to boysrus.

I have no idea what color to use. not sure if I want yellow.

So, I'd love to see more pictures.

thanks for starting this post jennifer

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 11:04AM
beekeeperswife

Have you looked at the Finished Kitchens Blog?

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 11:17AM
awm03

I think blues, grays & greens in all their variations & combinations work really well with golden oak.

Here is BM Paladian Blue:

And here's a composite shot showing the new Olive paint in the foyer & the golden oak bannister. Frankly, I think the Olive would have been better if it had been a shade yellower.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 12:10PM
Happyladi

Greens look really good with honey oak. I also like medium toned beiges with oak.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 12:51PM
jenniferdoc

thanks to you all...the photos are especially helpful!

to answer the question, my countertops are white.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 1:15PM
awm03

What is the floor like? That could dictate the wall color.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 1:35PM
johnmari

We did BM Monroe Bisque walls and off-the-shelf-white trim for my previous house when we put it up for sale in '07 (these are from the listing photos, which is why the room is so stripped of accessories). My camera was old then and skewed/skews a bit pink - the Monroe Bisque couldn't have gotten any "neutraller", it's neither as pinkish nor as yellow as it may look in these photos. Not to my personal taste but it did get a lot of compliments. Originally the trim matched the cabinets.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 2:19PM
lukkiirish

Here's a couple of pictures, we're still a work in progress, and the lighting isn't the best, these are the best I have. It has a nice glow in the morning sun and if you like Sunflowers, it's a perfect match. LOL

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 3:30PM
vcheethi

Our kitchen cabinets are similar colored but maple, we have SW Clary Sage and I'm loving it, also got lot of compliments from friends and family. Sorry dont have a pic handy at this moment to show.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 3:48PM
momto4boys

We have BM Lenox Tan.
But, in our case..I dislike the oak a LOT. And can't wait to paint the cabs.
We tried red for awhile. I loved the walls, but hated what it did for the cabinets. Which was NOTHING.

I've seen some really pretty greens and blues with oak.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 3:52PM
kellyjb-1730

I think we have the exact same cabinets. Right now my kitchen (and the whole house really) is builder beige. Wondering if Baby Turtle would look good with the oak?

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 5:30PM
lukkiirish

Kelly, I can't say that I've seen BM Baby Turtle in an oak kitchen before but I haven't seen an oak/green combination I haven't liked yet. The two go together very well.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 5:37PM
elle3

Olive greens go great with oak--olive branch BM comes to mind. I think Baby Turtle (great color!) would also look super. A friend of mine did a warm brown with her oak cabinets and it looks great also.
A lot will depend on your counters and floors...

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 5:46PM
redbazel

Here's a thread from a while back with similar situation, see what suggestions she got!

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak cabinets and greens

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 8:43PM
jenniferdoc

loving all the suggestions!! THANKS!! I'm new to the forum, does Baby Turtle have some kind of addictive quality? it seems to be ALL the rage :)

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 9:25PM
oopsie913

BM grey owl with white dove trim is my vote. it is a soft pale grey with a green undertone.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 12:15AM
awm03

jenniferdoc, just wanted to make sure you saw this thread. Not sure how you feel about cool colors, but I think the results are terrific:

Here is a link that might be useful: credomk's golden oak trim and new wall colors

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 11:16AM
jejvtr

Jenn

Not sure if this was suggested yet, but - I would def consider something in the terra cotta/orange family - honey oak has orange undertones.

here's a nice color not sure what the brand/name is
http://www.fitzdecarts.com/images/Interiors%20+%20Projects/024.JPG

I would paint the crown & base white & chair rail same as wall color unless you are applying beadboard - so as to not break the wall up.

ANother nice hue by Devine pain
http://blog.devinecolor.com/images/86.jpg

This would make the cabinets not stand out & be a focal point rather be a little subdued -

See how the wood is blending w/paint color in the "happy family" pic
http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//1000/200/70/5/111275.jpg

Link to My3dogs, very talented decorator on GW - don't know if the color works for you application
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1013001522136.html

Find your colors - get sample paints - paint either directly on the wall LARGE 10 x14 or so, near cabinetry in several places - look at it in different lighting/times of day photo it - you'll get lots more help

best to you

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 11:35AM
credomk

Here's Baby Turtle in our guest room, with golden oak woodwork.

Here's another picture, showing how different the paint can look from a different angle:

I'd say the true color is somewhere between the two. :-)

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 3:10PM
dk4mich

I also have white countertops. They are actually Corian, but I can't remember the name -- they are white with specs of gray.

I can't find a picture on my computer, but I will take one tomorrow and try to get it posted.

FYI, my adjoining Family Room is painted in Behr's Dried Chervil (sp?). It is green and compliments the yellow very nicely.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
This is why you don't pick paint colours off the internet
This photo has been circulating the internet today....
amberm145
Need opinions for overhead lights on island
So, we just got our overhead lights for our island...
kalsc2001
staircase light fixture
Would this lantern style fixture look right above the...
RoseAbbey
Anyone watch Fixer Upper on HGTV?
Some of the wife's decorating choices are a little...
deee_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™