Does The Galley sink exist . . . smaller & less industrial?

mrspeteAugust 13, 2014

So, yesterday I killed an hour at the orthodontist's office (last child - post-braces appointment, hopefully that was the last time I ever sat in that waiting room, but I digress) discovering The Galley sink.

Wow, the size, the cutting boards. So cool! I love the idea of doing my chopping IN the sink and keeping the mess contained. I love the idea of two levels of cutting boards and a self-contained colander. It's just a cool product.

However, several things make me stop -- and, oddly enough, the price isn't tops on the list. If this were genuinely everything I wanted, it's something I'd use multiple times a day, I'd pay the price of the smaller versions. But these things aren't right for me:

- The industrial look. Yeah, it'd fit in great for the right kitchen, but our house is going to be more traditional, with a nod towards Victorian. We're thinking warm-tone wood cabinets with seeded glass fronts, nice granite countertops . . . and a 4 1/2' hunk of stainless steel does nothing to complete that look.
- The cutting boards and other accessories are available only in white, black and bamboo. For this price (and for things that'd be used constantly in this system), I'd expect a wider range of color choices.
- The size. Though I love the concept, even the smallest of the standard sizes is oversized. Yes, they have a 3' version, but it lacks the two-layered cutting board concept, which I felt was one of the reasons to go with this system. I wouldn't be willing to pay this price unless I got ALL the bells and whistles.

So I've been looking at similar products. I can't remember the name, but I saw that one comes with a rectangular "metal basket" that I liked -- it would be ideal for washing produce, especially for canning.

Anyway, does anyone know of a sink similar to The Galley . . . but in a more reasonable size and with a look that doesn't look like it could fit into a restaurant kitchen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housebuilder14

I just asked about the galley sink yesterday. people mentioned a sink by kallista and the kohler indio.
also - maybe you can get a local guy to fabricate something for you.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrspete

It might've been your email that made me start looking at these sinks. I looked at both of these, and the Kohler Indio is kind of what I'm interested in: It comes in a variety of finishes, not just stainless steel -- and it isn't gigantic.

I think I know what it is that attracts me to these sinks:

- Undermount sink with a "lip" that can hold a cutting board at countertop level, which means it has to be square (or square-ish) in shape. The other accessories are nice but not as nice as the cutting boards.
- Large, but not outrageously huge.
- Not industrial in look.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Responsiveness of cabinet manufacturers
I was convinced that Barker was the cabinet company...
seb225
Just got my kitchen remodel photographed by a prof. What a difference!
For some reason a couple of the pics double posted....
Tamara Hadji
Fridge against wall
I'm looking at a plan and the refrigerator is placed...
tammyte
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
pumpkinhouse
Sponsored Products
Grover Leather Chair - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Rise Above Plant Stands - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Currey & Company 24 Square Pinkney Foyer Table
LuxeDecor
Nova Solar Micro 10-light String
Overstock.com
American Rug Craftsmen Shaggy Vibes Golden Gate Brown Runner Rug
$137.99 | LuxeDecor