Door hardware brand reviews?

elizamammaAugust 6, 2014

Hi all,
This is a xpost from the Old House forum. I'm posting here because I spend the most time on this board and have found you all so helpful, so I hope you don't mind a slightly non-kitchen specific query. We're looking at door hardware for the entire house, including a few pantries in the kitchen. I'd like to do a fairly traditional oil rubbed bronze knob with a rectangular backplate. Rejuvenation has a lovely and expensive version, as do Van Dyke's (the brand there is Brass Accents) and House of Antique Hardware. Does anyone one have experience with these brands? I know the Rejuvenation knobs are nice and solid and the finish lasts, but I don't know about the others and would prefer to go with a cheaper option if possible.
Thanks for you help!
Liz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brightm

We haven't got them yet, but we are getting Emtek handles on our new exterior doors. It's been so long since we picked them out, I don't even remember what we ordered. :: I don't know if they're more or less than the others, but they feel really good. They were recommended by the place we bought the doors. I posted their website, but I think you can get their stuff other places.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emtek

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:51AM
aliris19

Hi - I found this thread searching on rejuvenation. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the brand. I was looking in their store today at the "oil rubbed bronze" finish. FWIW be warned that it's an awfully dark version of ORB. I usually think of that as a slightly red-browner version than what they have. I do like what they have, it's just I'd term it more of a matte black or some-such.

As it happens, I've had an ORB Emtek door handle -- several of them, actually, for years. I really, really love them. Very heavy and lustrous. But I think lots of manufacturers may be great with their door sets? I'm not sure about that; I just know I still just love our door sets.

Anyone have rejuvenation bath fixtures? How do they hold up please?

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 3:36AM
oldbat2be

Another Emtek fan here.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 7:54AM
aliris19

Plus they're a super-nice small company (east of LA where I am). You can just call them up and they'll do any weird combo you want. I wanted a glass knob in a ORB door set and they said "sure". It's so heavy and pretty.... :) Once I needed info on some handles (all my kitchen handles are from them too) and they said "hold on, I'll go look in the warehouse" and 20 minutes later came back with an answer.

It's odd because they're a seemingly huge national company, but not so where the rubber meets the road.

Old Bat I'm glad you like them too!

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 2:20PM
a2gemini

My doors are Baldwin and they look new after 5 years.
I bought them from a little Baldwin brass store in west Reading PA and they offered a nice discount and shipped them to me.
I also looked at Emtek- they look similar quality

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 4:20PM
cookncarpenter

Another Baldwin fan here. When we bought our house in 1984, it had the original 1953 Schlage hardware, which was decent quality, but the salt air near the beach had taken it's toll on the brass finish.
So I switched out every piece of hardware, including hinges to Baldwin oil rubbed bronze. Thirty years later, it all still looks great, and functions without problem.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Kohler Whitehaven Sink - 33 or 36"?
Does anyone have the 33" Whitehaven single bowl?...
Melissa Silva
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Support for vintage double drainboard sink?
I'm planning my kitchen remodel now and have a question...
mccb1
What wall oven under $2500 do you have and love?
What single wall oven <$2500 do you have and love?...
enzaenza
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Sponsored Products
Leo Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink
Signature Hardware
WAC Lighting | LED200 LEDme Step Light
$107.50 | YLighting
Hartman and Rose Mayfair Dog Collar
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
White Silk Modified Bell Shade 10.5x17x12.5 (Spider)
Lamps Plus
Order Home Collection LED Branch Lights
Overstock.com
Dice S LED Indoor/Outdoor Lamp by Smart & Green
$109.00 | Lumens
Milano Chrome One-Light Table Lamp with White Tapered Drum Shade
$129.60 | Bellacor
Remer by Nameeks 359B20 Shower Head - REMER 359B20
$155.55 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™