Backsplash meeting on Tues! Hand-glazed ceramics

sstrazisarAugust 4, 2013

My plans (which are constantly shifting) seem to have settled on off-white perimeter cabs with leathered antique brown granite. Island is chocolate stain and black walnut butcherblock. It's taken awhile to come to the "white cab" camp, but I couldn't find a wood stain that fit. Anyway, I meet with backsplash designer on Tues. They carry Sonoma tiles, and I love the hand-glazed look with subtle variation and pooling of color at the edges. I don't want a white BS, or busy mosaic. I can get 3x6 tiles in the attached colors (and more), but I'm unsure of a color direction. Any advice? Things to avoid?

http://www.sonomatilemakers.com/brochures/STM_1.pdf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sstrazisar

Photo of cabinets, counters, and floor. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 8:18AM
foodonastump

I saw some of their glass coated tile yesterday and it was gorgeous. Doesn't quite sound like what you're looking at, but regardless I'd check the mfr's install instructions and make sure they're followed. In the case of the glass tile they require sealing all cut ends with crazy glue and then a regular sealing of all the tile prior to grout. Perhaps neither of these are uncommon, but I thought I'd pass it on.

The other thing of note, I got three quotes for what I liked, two were the same and one was about $9/sq ft more. Based on the email from the third store I found out that the lower price is 20% off list, so it seems that might be a reasonable target.

Can't help you with colors - if I was good at that I'd have a backsplash by now! Good luck and please post back about what you saw.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 3:34PM
beverlyfla

Since you admit that your plans continue to shift, I would not make a backsplash selection until your kitchen is installed and you can finally see the effect of all the combined finish selections. You might be surprised about the final effect. Seems many on this forum are.

Backsplash tile will be the last item installed and unless it's a long lead time item, it can wait. Lovely tiles from Sonoma, but there are many other tile manufacturers that also create lovely tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Collections from Country Floors

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 4:16PM
sstrazisar

Thanks to both of you! Good advice on the install and on when to purchase. eI'd like to have a BS plan, but will remain open to change it. I'm also looking at WZ and Encore. Kinda similar to Sonoma...guess that style attracts me.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
How much has your Danby Marble countertops scratched?
Still looking for he holy grail of countertops… back...
Pippin
Kitchen elevation opinions please
I spent good part of the morning drawing my new kitchen,...
houserookie
Old, Deep Cast Iron Sink or New Sink? I can't decide
Hello, would love to hear from those of you who have...
Cindy McMahon
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™