Kitchen face lift

jennybogAugust 4, 2012

Hello, i am looking for some advice on what to do for my extra small kitchen. I live in a 1742 new england farm house. Our kitchen is very small. The cupboards are wooden but not the best.Because it is so small the previous owners had a 24 inch stove and small fridge. The first face lift my husband cut down the counter to get a full size fridge in. We painted the cabinet a lovely red and updated everything a bit.Do we paint everything out white get stainless steel appliances to give it a update.Or do we wait and rip the whole thing out.The only reason we havent ripped it out is really we have far to many projects going. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labbie

It depends on the feel you're going for. Our previous home was a 1905 colonial with a tiny kitchen with multiple doorways. We did have white painted cabinetry and when we went to replace appliances felt that white was more suited to our space. Stainless was too contemporary of a feel for the space and the style of the cabinetry.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 8:26AM
ginny20

How well does the kitchen function for you now? The advantage to starting over is that with careful planning you can get maximum utility out of the cabs you put in. You can also get things like a tall, skinny frig such as a Liebherr. There are some very small kitchens on here, such as this one, one of my favs, that will provide a lot of excellent functional ideas. You could change the aesthetics to suit your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: brooklyn galley

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 12:10PM
jennybog

thank you For the advice i believe we are going to just paint and keep the appliances. I will try to post pics

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 5:08PM
rosie

But why on earth update to the current look, which is not only THE look of many thousands of new tract homes but inevitably en passant? Your home is a handmade wooden chair. I don't really get the idea you want to upholster it with a 1970s redux pattern hoping to turn it into a 2012 island stool. You're already out of the box. Stay there. I warn you, it's dreadfully over crowded in here. :)

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
Kitchen Decorating
The kitchen is a place that is visited often by most...
Home Ideas
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Review a friend's kitchen?
You all helped me tremendously in planning our kitchen...
camandann
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™