T Minus 24 hours...

joygreenwaldAugust 11, 2014

...until I am kitchenless.

I have all day to finish emptying my kitchen and set up my temporary eatery (in my kids' playroom in our basement). My before pictures will look cleaner than my kitchen every looked IRL. ;) (I did snap a few with all the mess.) I plan to cook one more meal in my current kitchen. Then it's all BBQ, microwave meals, and whatever I can make in my electric skillet. (Plus, I'm sure, take out.)

At this point it's 99% stress, 1% excitement.

Stay tuned for updates...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linste

It's demo day for me too, so I understand your excitement. -and anxiety!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:45AM
sjhockeyfan325

Wait until you come home tomorrow - you'll be thrilled (even if working in a temporary kitchen does become "old" later)

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:50AM
joygreenwald

So TIRED. And there's still more to pack/move. I am going to die in this house because if it's this hard to pack up one small kitchen, I never want to pack up a whole house. Yeah, this is our forever house. The prep for this reno has sealed it. ;)

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:36PM
brightm

Hang in there. Each step seems gruelling in it's own way. But I hear that it's worth it in the end (as my electrician is trying to solve the puzzle that IS getting electrical into my island).

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:31PM
rebecca51

Our demo day was today after 7 months of planning. We spent the weekend packing up the kitchen and moving essentials into the dining room and office. I agree - that's a lot of work - I found things stuck way back in cabinets that I hadn't seen in years! Can't wait to have all drawers below the countertop so that doesn't happen again. Panic is now setting in while i start to second guess all the big decisions.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:26PM
vdinli

Enjoy the calm now before the madness begins! It is an exhilarating ride-so worth it at the end (or so I am told).

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:12PM
joygreenwald

This is how we stated the day (I never put up any before pics before, even when asking for advice because they were so embarrassing. I really intended to clean first. Lol)

This post was edited by joygreenwald on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 7:28

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 7:22AM
joygreenwald

This is how we finished. I have a few more things to put away this morning, but I was exhausted. And all the booze out in the open just seemed so appropriate. ;). Every part of me is sore!

P.s. Evidentially, I'm still exhausted. I needed to edit both posts to make them make sense. Ahh, typos in the morning.

This post was edited by joygreenwald on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 7:32

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 7:25AM
lcskaisgir

Yep, keep the liquor in a convenient place for the next few months :)

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 10:28AM
joygreenwald

End of day 1! I might be moderately less stressed and slightly more excited. Lol. Cabinets arrived but are still flat packed. The uppers, appliances, and plumbing are out. Wall is gone.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 3:44PM
rebecca51

End of our day 2 (sorry, no pics): All cabinets removed except those in laundry room. Tile laid in master bath (our kitchen reno includes a few extras). Your cabinets look a lot like ours - 1980 oak?

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 9:17PM
joygreenwald

Rebecca, And here I was thinking that my folks made AMAZING progress. LOL This is kind of fun. Let's keep checking in with each other.

I don't think the old cabinets were oak. They had been refaced with something that looked more maple to me. And behind the face frame, they were 1950s shelves.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 10:01PM
joygreenwald

Never stop stressing. I left town to visit my parents feeling pretty good about where we were. Then electrical happened. Evidentially, the originally electrician never heard of Code (which changes). Or sense.( which has never included knitting wires back and forth though a 2x4.). Goodbye budget.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™