Recycling Granite

TrebruchetAugust 4, 2014

This post is about how you go from this:

To this:

Notice the edge profile changes? The guys my customer originally hired said it wouldn't be a problem to reprofile the edges in the house after the tops were installed. Fortunately, they used brown silicone to make their "seams" so removing the top sections wasn't much of a problem:

After:

Close up of the repair:

More silicone seams:

After:

"L" before edge reprofiling:

After:

Sink wall end before:

This is the sink wall after. Yeah, it's not the best base color match I've ever gotten, but this job is on a budget and I'm taking a hit. Maybe I'll fool with it when I bring back the splash, maybe not. They put their coffee pot here anyway:

I've spoken about cabinets being "out of plane". This isn't the best example, but cabinets have to be in the same line:

It's impossible for them to be in plane if they're installed like this:

I've never been able to get granite to bend enough to accommodate a 1/2"" over 4'. This peninsula had to be pulled and cut down so the end would drop enough to allow flush seam installation. What a PIA. This kind of crap is what eats the time on these do-overs:

I know some aren't going to believe me, but I reprofiled 13 linear feet of bullnose edges freehand with a Metabo grinder, a 70 grit diamond on an aluminum pad followed with the Viper 3-step:

Here's the right of the stove before:

Not the best after shot, but notice in the above picture how severely the overhang is off. You can tell by looking at the drawer profile.

I had to super glue a filler on the end and recut the stove side to make the overhang even. Yes, I know the filler seam sucks. We're on a budget here. It's an obscure corner; you'll never really know especially when the splash is installed.

The bullnose stops:

After:

Metabo and pads freehand, I swear.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schicksal

I have to ask, are they even saving anything at all by going with this granite instead of getting new pieces?

The way the cabinets are installed is just... scary.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 6:40AM
dcward89

Is that floor tiles installed on the end of the peninsula cabinets? Never saw that before...

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:14AM
bicyclegirl1

Great job Tre. It's so sad & scary to see how bad jobs are done. You are the hero here!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:19AM
Trebruchet

"I have to ask, are they even saving anything at all by going with this granite instead of getting new pieces?"

schicksal:

That is an excellent question. This was a cabinet and granite recycle. The cabinets have those beefy euro cup hinges and the sinks are those fancy French jobs, so there is some quality stuff here.

I have to do a cost/benefit analysis on jobs like this. There is a window between $0.00 and replacement that I have to jump through to make money. I'm about 22 hours into this, drive time included, but even at the insanely low prices of installed granite these days, this couple would never have gotten the cabinet and drain line fixed and the quality sinks and cabinets they had without recycling.

I've walked away from jobs that I couldn't fix cost effectively. Told the folks to use the money they would have paid me as a down payment on new tops.

This lady was nearly-wet-her-pants happy when I packed up at 9 p.m., so she thought I was a great value and hers is the only opinion that matters.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:02AM
Trebruchet

"Is that floor tiles installed on the end of the peninsula cabinets? Never saw that before…"

dcward:

Excellent eye. You nailed it.

Not my work.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 9:05

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:04AM
Trebruchet

"It's so sad & scary to see how bad jobs are done."

bycyclegirl:

It is, and would you believe these guys had the guts to call this woman and ask for more work after being paid for this and leaving it this way?

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:09AM
cal_quail

The afters look great. Was the original crew kicked out part way through? What was up with the edge changes, etc? I don't get the original story.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
Anyone have experience with JSI rta cabinets? Essex or Dover?
I'm looking into this brand as suggested by a previous...
happyallison
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Kitchen window or no?
We are planning our new home. I am a difficult time...
kymberie
Week 40: Sacrificed? Unobtainable dreams? Which direction?
A lot of questions this morning! Other than your entire...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™